Thursday, May 24, 2018

Survivor Finale - My Thoughts

Wow, what a finish on Survivor! The finale had me on the edge of my seat. For the first time in Survivor history, the final tribal council ended in a tie vote - five votes each for the two men who dominated the game this season - Dominic and Wendell. The winner was determined by the woman who received no votes to win and therefore became the eleventh member of the jury - Laurel. When that happened, I don't think there was a doubt in any viewer's mind that Wendell would be declared the winner. Laurel may have been pissed off that Wendell didn't invite her to the the steak dinner he received after winning the penultimate immunity challenge, but otherwise she had been aligned with him for most of the game - and he gave her his hidden immunity idol to guarantee her place in the final four. She wasn't going to vote against him after that. She had been in an alliance with both Dominic and Wendell for much of the game, but you could tell she was closer to Wendell.

I am so torn about the results. I feel that Dominic deserved to win. Wendell proclaimed himself the mastermind of the season during the final tribal council, but that just wasn't true. Dominic was the one who ran the show. And for me, he did it without being evil or cutthroat. He was simply strategic. I don't like to see evil game play rewarded, but I do want to see good game play end in championship, and unfortunately, that didn't happen for Dom. But on the other hand, I can't declare that Wendell isn't a worthy winner. He and Dom were together from the beginning, and they made big moves together. Wendell came on very strong at the end, winning immunity challenges, although Dom won the last one. Wendell came across as an extremely likeable guy, a superfan of the show. I can't say I'm sorry he won. But I am very sorry that Dom lost.

I'm sure Dominic was second-guessing himself about not challenging Wendell in the fire-making challenge. But I just didn't see that as a smart move. If he had lost, he would have been out, with no chance at winning the million dollars. If he had succeeded, yes, he likely would have had clear sailing. Neither Laurel nor Angela deserved to win, and it would have been a travesty if either of them had beaten Dominic. "Go big or go home" had been Dominic's mantra for much of the season. In the end, his bravado, his brashness, his confidence, his theatrics caused enough bitterness on the jury that the vote ended in a tie. But his antics sure made for an entertaining season!

I wish it had been Donathan, Dominic, and Wendell as the final three. Donathan deserved to be there more than Laurel. I don't think he deserved to win. He tried to make big moves, but he was too impulsive; he gave himself away too many times. But at least he tried. Laurel was a big talker in front of the cameras but never followed through on her bold plans. Donathan did follow through, but he didn't have anyone to back him up. If Laurel, Angela, Kellen, and Sebastian had teamed up, they could have eliminated Dominic. But Donathan and Angela didn't know how to keep their mouths shut. Not that I wanted Dom to be eliminated. I'm just saying they could have pulled it off.

Dominic and Wendell both played so well.
I wish they both could have won.

librarianintx

No comments: