Thursday, May 10, 2018

"Be on Time Chronicles" 5/10/18

Two consecutive days of fellow passengers oversharing have left me cranky and confused. Why do some people enter the vehicle and somehow think they are sitting in their therapist's office - or on a stool with a drink in their hand and a bartender's ear nearby? Metro drivers are not getting paid to hear your troubles - and neither am I. I feel like I'm a caring person who is more than willing to help someone in need, but to verbally vomit your life story to a stranger you've never met - or a driver you see every once in awhile - it just seems unnecessary. Are you going into all of this because you need advice and support - or do you just like to hear yourself talk, and you think what you have to say is more interesting and important that anything the driver or other passengers would have to share? Now, its true, nothing in my life can compare to some of the risque, illegal, and heartbreaking tales that I've heard while riding around the city. But if I had anything like that going in my life, I just don't think I would blurt it out to a car full of strangers.

Maybe some people do this because they can't afford a therapist.
Or perhaps they are a narcissist.
Or they just like being the center of attention.
It could be they enjoy telling a shocking story. 

Personalities are various, and obviously some people are more of an open book than others.
It's up to each individual person how much they want to share about themselves, their friends and their family.
The driver has every right to say, "I'm sorry, I need to concentrate on my driving," or "I'd rather not hear about that."
I think the passengers who overshare do so because they know they are in the presence of a caring driver who will listen and be understanding and empathetic.
I have every right to put in my earbuds and tune them out.
Which I know I should do instead of being irritated and frustrated.

I mean, I DO talk in the van. And I share life events. Nieces' graduations and weddings. Birthday celebrations. Accomplishments at work. Maybe I even talk about minor illnesses sometimes. So other passengers COULD be annoyed with me on occasion. But I usually only share in response to a driver's question. And I don't go into great detail, or share intimate details about myself, my family, or my friends.

Perspective.

librarianintx

No comments: