Tuesday, May 29, 2018

"Be on Time Chronicles" Tuesday 5/29/18

A Tale of Two Drivers

On Friday, I was headed out of the town after work for the Memorial Day weekend, so I had luggage with me. My driver didn't smile, didn't say "hello" or "good morning," and stood there while I struggled to get my suitcase into the trunk. She looked put out when I requested a step stool. She acted this way with the two people we picked up on my way to work, so I know her mood wasn't personal towards me.

That didn't make things any easier.

When we arrived at the library, she again stood there while I tugged to get my suitcase out of the back. I didn't want to say thank you, but I did, because I consider myself a polite person. She didn't help me with my luggage, which is part of her job, but she did drive well and she delivered me to my destination safely and on time. So I thanked her, but I regretted saying it, because she didn't even bother to acknowledge it.

Not a good way to start the day.

I could have reported her for not helping me. I could have told her to her face that she wasn't doing her job properly. But I'm not a confrontational person.

Fast forward to this morning. The day after a holiday.

My driver was cheerful and chatty. She not only complimented my appearance and outfit, she practically gushed over me. She was polite, told me to take my time entering the vehicle, and offered to help me with my seat belt. We had a nice conversation on the trip in, which was surprisingly short due to no other pickups.

When we arrived at the library, I thanked her and she said she hoped I have a great day.

That is a good start to the day.

I understand that stuff happens. Maybe that driver was tired or not feeling well. Maybe she was just in a bad mood. I can relate. But no matter what is happening in your personal life, you can still be polite, and you should do the job you were hired to do.

librarianintx

No comments: