Tuesday, May 22, 2018

"Dancing with the Stars" Athletes Edition Finale

I can't believe it's already time for the finale!
This is the shortest season in "Dancing with the Stars" history.

Round One

1) Tanya and Sasha
Viennese Waltz
This was a very traditional Viennese Waltz - flowing, sweeping, although it didn't cover as much of the dance floor as I'd like. Sasha sometimes ends his choreography a little early, which I find rather annoying. I want to see dancing from start to finish, not just the dancers standing at the end and making little curtsies. The dances are short enough as it is. Anyway, overall it was a nice routine.
Len: "elegance, sophistication, control"
Bruno: "born again Tanya, rejuvenated, radiant"
Carrie Ann: "every movement has real meaning - but you looked nervous"
Scores: 8, 9, 9
My score: 8

2) Josh and Sharna
Foxtrot
Sad face because Josh wasn't shirtless. :(
But what a leading man he has become in only four weeks!
He and Sharna have a wonderful partnership.
This was a beautiful dance - both passionate and tender, grand, sweeping, wonderful turns and extensions, excellent musicality and interpretation.
I loved it.
Yes, I saw the incident with Sharna's skirt, but it didn't interrupt the flow of the dance for me.
Bruno: "dashing, debonair, self-assured"
Carrie Ann: "competitive, excellence, poetry"
Len: "elegance, style"
Scores: 9, 9, 9
My score: 9

3) Adam and Jenna
Jazz
It was a really cute routine, showing off the playful personalities and the bond these two have developed in just a few short weeks. I would have liked to see more lifts and tricks, but it was a solid routine. I enjoyed it but I wasn't as enthusiastic as the crowd was.
Carrie Ann: "wonder twins of dance, Broadway"
Len: "fantastic"
Bruno: "exquisitely theatrical, wit, humor, technically brilliant"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

Freestyle Round!

1) Tanya and Sasha
NOW THAT WAS A FREESTYLE!!
Holy cow!!
Tanya, I am SO impressed!!
She was in it to win it, and I don't think she could have possibly done any more.
I mean, she came down from the rafters standing on a disk, she did cartwheels, she let Sasha whirl her around by her ankles, she danced by herself - she did it all.
She was surrounded by professional dancers, but hands down she was the star of that routine.
I am amazed by her strength, her power, her athleticism, the gymnastic elements - remember, everyone, she is 47 years old!!
What a dynamic routine!
And the fact that she danced to "I Will Survive" - icing on the cake!
I am so thrilled for you, Tanya!
Len: "full of fun, energy, joy, terrific!"
Bruno: "ultimate Disco Diva!"
Carrie Ann: "So awesome! I love you! So much joy! You made an impact!"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 10
During the judges' comments, Tanya said, "I wanted to show I deserve to be here." You showed it, girl!

2) Josh and Sharna
Josh completely shirtless - thank you Sharna!! :)
I appreciated the abs...and the ass in those tight football pants.
Like Tanya, Josh gave it everything he had in this performance.
Like Tanya, he danced with a group of professionals, but he was the star of the routine.
He was powerful, fierce, determined, exuberant, triumphant.
Ultimately I enjoyed Tanya's freestyle more. It was more entertaining to me. But I definitely appreciate and applaud Josh's talent, tenacity, and work ethic.
Bruno: "strong, heroic, powerful performance, master and commander of the situation"
Carrie Ann: "incredible piece of choreography; I saw a champion"
Len: "great, loved the power, the drama, the lifts"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

3) Adam and Jenna
Mmmmmm......
Um......
It was one of the more unusual Freestyles on "Dancing with the Stars".
The costumes and music choice reminded me of something I saw on "So Think You Can Dance" years ago.
It was good, and I totally love him, but honestly, it didn't blow me away.
The music was a little repetitive.
The lasers made it hard to see the dancers at times.
There was decent energy and power, but compared to Tanya and Josh, I didn't see Adam going for it the way his competitors did.
It was just okay for me, and a Freestyle is supposed to be amazing.
For me, it was more style over substance.
I'll remember the look of it, the costumes, the hair, but I won't remember the dancing.
Just as an aside, did anyone think that Adam totally looked like Johnny Weir in that wig?
Carrie Ann: "style was incredible, brave, but seemed out of sync"
Len: "modern and inventive"
Bruno: "high style freestyle, absolutely fabulous"
Score: 9, 9, 10
My score: 9

Results:
Adam and Jenna won, and I'm very happy for them. I wasn't a fan of their Freestyle, but I love the two of them together, and they definitely danced well enough throughout the short competition to win the mirrorball.

Happy summer dance fans!
See you in the fall!
librarianintx

No comments: