Tuesday, May 09, 2017

DWTS Trios Nite Recap Part 1

I still love the show, but I'm feeling kinda depressed. This has been such a strong season, but this is not the Top 5 that I want. The final five should have been Heather, Nancy, Normani, Simone, and Rashad.

Round One: Pro dancers pick the song
Rashad & Emma
Jive - "Shake Your Tail Feather"
Emma picked a very good song for Rashad's upbeat personality, energy, and musicality. He had good kicks and flicks. I like them throwing the twist in there too; the song really called for it. I also liked the concert-type atmosphere, but that made the stage too small. The trick at the end did add the wow fact they were looking for.
The camera work after the dance was terrible. What was going on?
Len: "you gotta work on your feet"
Julianne: "so fun!"
Bruno: "good choice Emma!"
Carrie Ann: "true entertainer"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9
My score: 9

Normani & Val
Contemporary - "Freedom"
She is so amazing. That looked like a professional contemporary routine. Of course I preferred the parts where it was just Normani and Val on the dance floor. She was free then, not hemmed in by all the extra dancers. But that was part of the storyline, so I understand that. It was a powerful performance. The lifts were wonderful.
Julianne: "completely mesmerized - creating art and history"
Bruno: "Pulitzer Prize-winning performance - you are the embodiment of the spirit of Cora" (Underground Railroad)
Carrie Ann: "went to another level of healing"
Len: "I was spellbound"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

Bonner & Sharna
Argentine Tango - "Believer"
I don't know. It was just okay. There were a few moments where it felt like the routine was going well. But overall I felt like Bonner was hesitant and just not feeling it, which made me not feel it. It felt like he was going through the motions rather than dancing. Argentine Tango is a sexy, exciting dance, and usually I feel the chemistry between these two, but I didn't feel it in this routine. It didn't feel like he was in the mood at all. He looked stiff and clumsy and not in the game. Just felt off to me.
Bruno: "you made the most of what you had - but you didn't interpret the steps" (yes!)
Carrie Ann: "lacked connection" (definitely!)
Len: "too stiff"
Julianne: "use that frustration"
Scores: 8, 7, 8, 7
My score: 7

Simone & Sasha
Foxtrot - "What Makes You Beautiful"
Simone looked SO pretty in this dance, and everything about that routine was first rate - speed, flow of movement across the floor, frame, etc. And I did feel more of a connection between the two of them. Most of the dance was in hold, which can make her uncomfortable, but she looked relaxed and confident. However, while I thought the performance was solid and technically good, I didn't think it was stellar. It wasn't memorable.
Carrie Ann: "your skills are unquestionable, but I still don't know you"
Len: "nice mix, nice posture"
Julianne: "pretty dance, but no wow, just safe" (yes!)
Bruno: "you make it look easy - but need surprise"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (They all sounded disappointed as they were saying "9")
My score: 9

David & Lindsay
Waltz - "Humble and Kind"
It was such a sweet dance; their long hug at the end made me tear up. I love David. I love how hard he tries to do a good job and look like a dancer. He's an athlete; he has a strong work ethic. I think he's out of his league at this point in the competition, but I still enjoyed the performance for what it was. The technique wasn't there so much, but the feeling was, the connection was, the sweet simplicity of the dance. My favorite part was when Lindsay had her feet perched on David's - like when a little girl dances with her daddy. That was precious. There were a lot of moist eyes in the ballroom after that routine.
Len: "You attempted the correct footwork...understated...poignant...your best dance"
Julianne: "You are what this show is all about - one of the strongest partnerships"
Bruno: "best father-daughter dance"
Carrie Ann: "lady and the champ"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9
My score: 8

End of Round One

No comments: