Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Dancing with the Stars: The Finals!

It's the finale dance fans! Here we go!

Round One: Redemption Dances

David & Lindsay
Viennese Waltz
I'm honestly trying to find the positives in David's dancing, but I'm struggling. The routine did not have the sweeping flow and ease of a Viennese Waltz. David was trying so hard to prove himself that he rushed his movements. He was jerky and his frame wasn't great. Disappointing - as a dancer, not as a person.
Len: "Cinderella story - improvement, but not in the Viennese Waltz"
Julianne: "I saw the hard work - totally saw improvement - you are the fan's man"
Bruno: "You kept the glow and flow of the dance"
Carrie Ann: "You make the best connection"
Scores: 8, 8, 9, 8
My score: 8

Normani & Val
Quickstep
I remember her Quickstep from week one, and I thought it was good. But this dance showed what an excellent ballroom dancer she has become. It's weird though, when Heather danced in a jumpsuit I was so unnerved by the wardrobe choice, but I didn't feel that way with Normani. That was a very fast Quickstep; they flew all over that floor. The fog was distracting at the end, but overall it was a solid routine. It was interesting that Val showed more skin than Normani.
Julianne: "One of the most consistent couples - but some lack of body contact"
Bruno: "Smoking! That was fantastic!"
Carrie Ann: "fantastic, fierce, fabulous - You are the bomb!"
Len: He agreed with Julianne about the body contact, and felt it was too much running around.
Scores: 10, 9, 9, 10
My score: 9

Rashad & Emma
Viennese Waltz
I thought Rashad's frame was excellent, and his partnering skills were very good, although there may have been a slight hiccup toward the end of the routine. I don't think Emma's foot came up during that complicated turn, but if it did Carrie Ann will catch it. The end was hot, and Rashad did a little butt wiggle in the middle of the routine that got me going, but during a lot of the performance I felt he was concentrating too hard on his frame and the sexiness got sacrificed somewhat.
Bruno: "polished, majestic, smooth as silk - your footwork was unrecognizable"
Carrie Ann: "you have magic happening"
Len: "I saw improvement in every level of that dance"
Julianne: "I'm seeing the hard work you put in - We just saw your best"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

Round Two: Freestyle!

David & Lindsay
It was a very entertaining routine. I enjoyed the music. My favorite part was the dancing with the bats - especially his spin with Lindsay and the bat. That was unique, innovative, exciting, and well-executed. The performance played to David's strengths. It was fun to watch.
Len: "that was fantastic!"
Julianne: "that's what freestyle is about - entertaining"
Bruno: "We had our money's worth with you"
Carrie Ann: "You hit your personal best"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 9

Normani & Val
What an incredibly sweet and beautiful routine. This was not your typical freestyle, but it was the type of freestyle that Val seems to prefer. He doesn't tend to choreograph big production numbers with a floor full of dancers for the freestyle. Most of the routine was just the two of them, and the dancing was exquisite. Was it the best freestyle I've ever seen? No. But it was one of the most heartfelt. I really liked Normani wanting to include the next generation of dancers in the performance. Hi JT! :) Normani and Val graced us with an absolutely lovely dance.
Julianne: "absolutely breathtaking"
Bruno: "so inspirational, so achingly beautiful, like watching angels dancing"
Carrie Ann: "You are in a class by yourself - deep, dynamic, beautiful soul"
Len: "so emotional, so much beauty"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

Rashad & Emma
There it is!!
THAT was the freestyle I've been waiting for!
Holy cow!
Not to dismiss or demean Normani and Val's gorgeous simplicity. This dance had everything that I look for in a freestyle - awesome music, high energy, excellent lifts and tricks, fun, fun, fun! Rashad said it himself: this dance was all about his flavor. That natural charisma, musicality, and style that we witnessed in his first dance was evident in this routine, plus a lot of growth. I especially liked how safe the landings of the lifts and tricks were. I didn't feel nervous that someone was going to get hurt. He started the season with Bruno Mars, and he ended the season with Bruno Mars. Perfection. I loved every single second of this freestyle!
Bruno: "blown away - sensational - uptown, downtown, across America!"
Carrie Ann: "This is how you turn this mutha out!"
Len: "so good I could even put up with the music - You are the one with the momentum going into tomorrow night"
Julianne: "That is going in the books as an iconic freestyle" (I agree!)
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10 (a librarianintexas' Hall of Fame freestyle!)

Final thoughts:
Tomorrow is going to be tough. History dictates that the best freestyle usually results in the mirrorball trophy. If history holds, Rashad will be crowned king of the ballroom. Normani's freestyle was beautiful, but was it memorable enough, exciting enough, interesting enough to make people pick up the phone and vote for her? Yet, when you look at the season as a whole, I think Normani has the advantage. Overall I think her scores were higher, she received more praise from the judges, and less criticism, although at the same time I think she was in the bottom more than he was. As good as Rashad is, he was still dinged for his footwork as recently as last week. I adore them both, and I will be thrilled for the winner and sad for the second place finisher. I think they both are worthy winners. For me, this is a Rumor / Riker finish. It was very hard for me to choose between those two, and I keep going back and forth in my mind as well about Normani and Rashad.
"Normani should get it!"
"Rashad should win it!"
We'll see how it all plays out. I must add, if Simone had not been eliminated last week I think there would have been two Hall of Fame freestyles for me. I think she and Sasha would have performed a lift and trick masterpiece, and totally given Rashad a run for his money, at least when it came to the freestyle. I'm still very disappointed at being cheated out of a Simone and Sasha freestyle. I hope she gets to perform a fantastic number tomorrow night, like Snookie did on her season.

librarianintx

No comments: