Thursday, May 18, 2017

DWTS: The Semi-Finals Recap Part 2

Round Two: Personal stories

Normani & Val
Jazz
What a spunky, funky, sassy, jazzy routine! I loved it! I loved the churchy, revival feel of the music, I loved her purple dress, I loved her attitude and zest and her command of the dance floor. Normani is a star! Awesome! The end.
Len: "dash of Lindy Hop, loads of fun" (standing ovation)
Julianne: "You are an absolute star - that dance was a celebration through adversity"
Bruno: "That's how you do it in the Big Easy!"
Carrie Ann: "teamwork - I feel your power in everything you do"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

David & Lindsay
Tango
I know I sound like a broken record - he's not good enough, blah blah. But I do appreciate David's integrity, work ethic, and determination. He could phone it in. He could let Lindsay do all the work. Plenty of other contestants have done that. But David never has. He worked hard and became a success in baseball. He continues to do the best he can on Dancing with the Stars. At this stage of the game, I don't see him being able to improve. But I commend him for his commitment to the show and to his partner.
Julianne: "You are so meant to be here - you are the show"
Bruno: "You went for it - torpedo in a tuxedo" :)
Carrie Ann: "Your best dance - but there was a lift!"
Len: "no one has tried harder and worked harder"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9
My score: 8

Simone & Sasha
Rumba
While there weren't the sparks and intense chemistry that I felt in Rashad & Emma's Rumba, I did feel a concerted effort on Simone's part to have more of a connection with Sasha and to express more sensuality and be more comfortable with the body contact that a successful Rumba requires. The technique was definitely there, and the feeling was too, even though it was more of a developing friendship than a passionate fire.
Bruno: "you let the dance flow out of you effortlessly"
Carrie Ann: "you danced with your soul tonight"
Len: "There was nothing I didn't like"
Julianne: "beautiful vulnerability"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10

Rashad & Emma
Quickstep
The Quickstep is my least favorite ballroom style. It has often been the "kiss of death" on "So You Think You Can Dance." So when I heard that Rashad was given Quickstep I groaned a little.But he took that dance and quite literally ran with it! Holy cow, personality and charisma for days! The beginning was a little long, but it was so charming and endearing. And his Quickstep was fast, sharp, and his frame was great. Such a fun routine! I loved the music too - Yes he can! Yes he did! Touchdown!
Carrie Ann: "Oh my goodness! Match made in heaven"
Len: "lost your frame - too much positivity - It was good, but not great"
Julianne: "light on your feet"
Bruno: "charisma is out of this world"
Scores: My cable system had a hiccup and I didn't see the judges scores. I'm guessing he got a 9 from Len and a 10 from everyone else, but I don't know for sure.
My score: 10

And now we come to the elimination part of the show. We all know what happened. We all know how wrong it is that Simone got the boot. SO so so wrong. Yes, there was often just a little something missing from Simone's performances. But she can still dance circles around David. She deserves to be in the finals. He does not - from a dancing perspective. But evidently he is more popular than her. He got more votes than her. He has connected with the audience more. And that is what this show is about. It's not about dancing. It's about making the audience want to vote for you. David is the underdog. He is the non-dancer. This show celebrates non-dancers who become dancers. And to a certain extent David has become a dancer. There has been growth. But when I think about who could have been in the finals - Heather, Nancy, Simone - it makes me so disappointed. It could have been one of the best finals ever. Now its just so-so. It's two great dancers and one okay dancer. Which is often the case with a DWTS finale.When I think about the fact that we have likely been cheated out one of the best freestyles in the history of the show, I get even more upset. Given Simone and Sasha's athletic and gymnastic abilities, I think their freestyle would have rocked our world.

Sigh.

librarianintx

No comments: