Tuesday, May 02, 2017

DWTS Hollywood / Movie Nite Recap Part I

Choreographer Mandy Moore is the guest judge - yay!

It's a double elimination nite - booo!

Round One: Individual Dances
The highest scoring couple in Round One will receive immunity and won't have to participate in the Dance Off. 

Bonner & Sharna
Paso Doble - Western
It took them FOREVER to start dancing. And even then I didn't see a whole lot of dancing - especially on Bonner's part. The hop up on the table was quite impressive. But otherwise, he made some Paso shapes and was led around by the extra female dancers (ugh!). Usually one of the positive comments I can make about Bonner is his partnering ability, but not in this dance. I was not a fan of this routine or Bonner's performance in it.
Len: "you forgot to be the matador"
Mandy: "I didn't lose you in the production" (really?)
Bruno: "needed a bit more smoothness"
Carrie Ann: "you did get lost - and half the number wasn't dancing" (Exactly!!)
Scores: 7, 7, 8, 7
My score: 7 (I'm being generous)

Nancy & Artem
Tango - Romance
FOR GOODNESS SAKE, PEOPLE, JUST DANCE!!
What is it about tonight so far? I guess they're trying to make every performance theatrical. Definitely Nancy and Artem danced more than Bonner and Sharna, and I thought their Tango was basically great, but they kept interrupting the dance with three professional dancers butting in. Why? What was the point? It was annoying. It jarred the flow of the routine. It also took them awhile to start dancing. JUST LET THEM DANCE. GOOD GRIEF! As Len would say, "Just get on with it!"
BREATHE
Nancy looked lovely, and Artem was very dashing.
Mandy: "beautiful"
Bruno: "5 star deluxe version of a Tango"
Carrie Ann: "you have blossomed"
Len: "quality of movement"
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9
My score: 9

Simone & Sasha
Charleston - Silent Movie
FINALLY! No extra dancers, and they danced their butts off for the entire routine! This was the PERFECT style of dance for this pair - they were able to show off their athleticism and gymnastic abilities with super tricks, and Simone didn't have to be overtly sexual, which makes her uncomfortable. It was the most connected she's ever been to Sasha. It was a sensational routine and they nailed it!
Bruno: "fizz and sparkle - goofy fun - very entertaining"
Carrie Ann: "very challenging routine - made it look effortless"
Len: "a joy to watch"
Mandy: "it looked like you were on automatic pilot - connect with Sasha more"
Scores: 10, 9, 9, 9
My score: 10

Nick & Peta
Argentine Tango - Action Movie
Peta said they were dancing like it was their last dance. I could definitely see they were really going for it. I liked how the music swelled in just the right places. I think Nick was much improved this week. His partnering skills were strong, and he kept up with Peta - who was fierce, passionate and smokin' hot. I liked the storyline too. The rope part at the end was cool. And there were some exciting Argentine Tango lifts. Good job Nick!
Carrie Ann: "very hot - moments of extreme brilliance"
Len: "you've improved from week one - you sold it"
Mandy: "loved the storytelling - you were excellent, Nick"
Bruno: "mission accomplished!"
Scores: 8, 8, 9, 9
My score: 8

Rashad & Emma
Paso Doble - Horror
I held my breath through most of this routine. I thought it might rival the epic awesomeness that was Riker & Allison's Pirates of the Caribbean Paso. It wasn't as righteous as that, but it was still damn fantastic. The look on Rashad's face was SO fierce and chill inducing in the beginning. His shapes and lines were on point. I thought the end was very exciting, and the routine built to a very satisfying crescendo. Great job Rashad!
Len: "the music was epic, and so was the dancing" (I agree!)
Bruno: "monster mash! gothic, noble, rich, lush, full of passion and feeling"
Carrie Ann: "watch your posture"
Scores: 9, 9, 10, 9
My score: 9

David & Lindsay
Salsa - Sci Fi
A sci fi salsa? Very strange.
There were too many lasers and too many dancers.
But he did a decent job. He has really improved with the lifts, tricks, and partnering skills. It was just a weird salsa because of the movie genre. It wasn't sexy, and he still doesn't have the bounce or the musicality. But it was okay.
Mandy: "no energy or spice in your footwork"
Bruno: "guardians of the salsa - no hip action"
Carrie Ann: "not the smoothest salsa - but entertaining"
Len: "it was fun"
Scores: 8, 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Normani & Val
Argentine Tango - Foreign Film
What back injury? Not that I don't believe her - I'm just saying she didn't perform like she was injured. That was a hot, passionate, fierce, spicy, exquisite routine. And thank you Normani and Val for just getting out there and dancing!! No playing around, no extra dancers, but the story was still there.
Que linda!
Bellissima!
Brava!
Bruno: "Academy Award for best dance!"
Carrie Ann: "you deserve immunity for that dance - it's an honor to watch you dance"
Len: "staccato and softness"
Mandy: "impressed by your leg action"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10
My score: 10
They win immunity!

End of Round One
End of Part One

Part Two will likely have to wait until tonight. I haven't seen two of the three dance offs yet.

librarianintx

No comments: