Monday, October 09, 2017

Project Runway: Dixie Cup Challenge

Also known as the Women on the Go Challenge
Also known as the Friends & Family of the Project Runway Crew Challenge

The episode began with the Twins Elimination One Hour Challenge (too many capital letters?)

For the first time, the twins are on their own, as individual designers.
They can't work together.
They can't help each other.
They can't even bounce ideas off each other.

Is anyone surprised that Shawn fell apart and couldn't make anything without her sister's help?
What did they think was going to happen this season? Obviously they didn't plan for such a scenario. I guess they believed they would both make it to the finals and Fashion Week.

Shawn conceded and was eliminated from the competition.
There were a lot of tears on and off the runway.

"I'll miss Shawn's emotional support," Claire said.
Okay....

Margarita spent her time in the workroom obsessing over the idea that Claire was ripping off her design from the previous challenge. When Claire had her critique with Tim, however, she changed her look and it no longer resembled Margarita's.

The Runway
My critiques:

Amy - What is that? It looks like a costume or a karate outfit or something.
Brandon - too many layers, and the top looks like a bib
Batani - the color is nice, but the dress is very plain - not much design to it
Margarita - I don't like the color combination
Claire - very well made, flattering, looks expensive - The top is very cute, and the print on the pants is nice - This is also a very versatile outfit.
Ayana - very cute dress, sexy, and I also liked the styling.
Michael - not flattering, and I don't like the colors or the print
Kenya - I like the colors and I like the skirt, but the top is not flattering, especially in the bust area. I like peplums, but does she have to have one on nearly every garment?
Kentaro - I'm not a fan of the color scheme, and I think the gown looks matronly. But I do like the detailing in the back

My top designers: Claire and Ayana
My lowest designers: Amy and Michael

The Judges' Six:
Michael - bottom
Batani - bottom
Kenya - bottom
Claire - top
Kentaro - top
Margarita - bottom

The judges actually had good and bad things to say about most of the six designers.

My pick to win this week: Claire
My pick to go home: Ah, that's a tough one. I want Amy to go home, but I can't choose her. I mean, I could, but I usually pick from the judges' six. So I would reluctantly say Michael.

In the episode, Claire was declared the winner, and Michael stalked off the runway. We don't know yet who went home. Michael and Margarita especially are angry that Claire won. They are accusing her of cheating.

If we are just talking about what was shown on the runway in this episode, there actually wasn't anyone who deserved to win in my opinion, except perhaps Ayana. Her look was cute, well-made, and fashionable, but she was only safe in the judges' determination. I chose Claire as the winner this week because her look was successful - well made, attractive, stylish, something that I think a lot of women would want to wear and would look good in - but how much design is in that look? Its a top and a pair of pants. Michael's and Kentaro's looks had much more design in them. But I didn't like them. Michael's was honestly bad in my opinion. The print wasn't good, the look was unflattering - there was too much design. Kentaro's look had too much fabric, and the best part of the gown - the back - was covered up. Claire's design was extremely simple, but it was effective. Her model looked great. It is a look that will sell. It would also look good on a variety of body types. Her design in the workroom DID resemble Margarita's dress from the previous week, but the finished product on the runway did not.

librarianintx

No comments: