Monday, October 30, 2017

Houston Astros

I shouldn't call myself a fan. I like sports. I am my mother's daughter. I root for the Texans, the Cowboys, the Rockets, and the Astros. I cheer when the teams win and I'm disappointed when they lose. But I watch too much television. I have too many weekly shows. So I haven't taken the time to be a true sports fan. I haven't sweated and panted and held my breath through every inning, every quarter, every moment of play.

But I'm still a fan. And I just want to say - no matter what happens in LA during the next game (or two) - the Houston Astros are winners - collectively, as a team, and individually, as players. They are champions, whether they win the World Series or not. They have given the fans two thrilling wins at home - more than any Astros team has ever done. And wow has Houston needed something to get excited about.

Game 5 of the 2017 World Series last night showed what this Astros Team is made of. Down 4-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning - cold bats, a struggling star pitcher - it was looking bad for the orange and blue. But our boys did not give up. They gave their fans a game that will be talked about for years to come. A battle it was. And the Astros were ultimately victorious. Past midnight, in 10 innings, they beat the Dodgers 13-12. What a game! What a series!

They may not win the series. Of course I hope they do. But what they have already given to their city - hope, excitement, the national spotlight for a positive reason - and the heart, the determination, the never-give-up attitude - the teamwork and sense of brotherhood displayed in celebration and in defeat - for all these reasons, the Houston Astros are winners.

Thank you guys. Some of us will be with you in LA. The rest of will be with you from afar. Thank you for giving us a reason to smile, to cheer, to yell, to pump our fist in the air.

We are #AstrosProud
And #HoustonStrong

librarianintx

No comments: