Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Dancing with the Stars - Disney Nite - 10/16/17

I haven't written last week's recap yet, but I decided to post this one first.
I'm not usually a big fan of Disney Nite, so we'll see how this goes.

Victoria Arlen & Val
Jazz
Mickey Mouse
A cute, whimsical routine, but it seemed a little long, and of course I didn't like the extra dancers. I understand the jumps are tough for her because she can't feel her feet, and the over the head lift was exciting, but overall it wasn't a routine that knocked my socks off. It was solid, but not spectacular. The crowd loved it, though.
Len: "full of joy, sparkle, entertainment - fabulous"
Bruno: "jam-packed with fun and games, effortless and beautiful"
Carrie Ann: "absolutely in perfect sync"
Scores: 9, 9, 9
My score: 8

Vanessa Lachey & Maks
Waltz
Snow White
I enjoyed the costumes, and Vanessa looked enchanting. It was a lovely waltz - grand, sweeping, with nice turns and a good frame. There may have been a bobble or two on the footwork, but I enjoyed it. If Maks and Vanessa are still feuding, I couldn't tell from this dance. It was sweet as candy, and they looked happy to be dancing together. Maybe it's the magic of Disney.
Bruno: "simply beautiful dance"
Carrie Ann: "unconventional dance - liked the intimacy - stunning moments"
Len: "liked the choreography - beautiful flow"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Foxtrot
Pinnoccio
The dance didn't feel too long or too short; it felt just right. And it was gorgeous. It reminded me of Old Hollywood glamour. She has so much musicality. It was light, airy, effortless. They looked like they were floating. Stunning.
Carrie Ann: "classic, stunning, the finest hold"
Len: "delightful, I absolutely loved that"
Bruno: "bathing in stardust - timeless style and elegance - Fred Astaire meets Disney"
Scores: 9, 10, 9
My score: 9 (almost a 10)

Nick Lachey & Peta
Quickstep
Jungle Book
First of all, thank you to the costume department! You know what I'm talking about! :) Second of all, that was not a bad Quickstep Mr. Lachey! There may have been more Lindy Hop and Charleston in there than Quickstep, but I saw Quickstep too. There was decent speed and even some musicality. It was entertaining. For me, this was Nick's best dance.
Len: "bare necessities but fun and entertaining"
Bruno: "sense of fun, Charleston, but you need to keep your frame"
Carrie Ann: "having fun, letting loose"
Scores: 7, 8, 7
My score: 8

Drew Scott & Emma
Viennese Waltz
Muppets
They were so cute as puppets!
They wanted the dance to be sweet and romantic. I didn't feel the romance until the end, but that was okay. I thought this was a beautiful dance, and shows how far Drew has come in just a few weeks. The turns were gorgeous, and so fast. They flew across and around the floor. His partnering skills were surprisingly good. I loved the colors in her dress, and the rainbow on the dance floor. I was impressed by this performance.
Bruno: "Prince Charming - more and more polished every week"
Carrie Ann: "one of my favorite couples - fluid and polished"
Len: "I liked your footwork, but you went over the top at the end"
Scores: 9, 8, 8
My score: 8 (almost a 9)

Sasha Pieterse & Gleb
Rumba
Little Mermaid
She has lost 37 pounds!
This was a proper Rumba. And it was sexy, but because it was Disney Nite, it was a bit whimsical too. I thought she moved well, with decent, but not spectacular, hip action. She had nice chemistry with Gleb. And the red hair suits her.
Carrie Ann: "loved the way your body interprets these dances"
Len: "well-crafted routine, lovely, well done"
Bruno: "siren, enchantress of the sea"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

Terrell Owens & Cheryl
Quickstep
Lion King
Uh-oh. Rant coming. Prepare!
The extra dancers, moving scenery, and fog were SO distracting! Ugh! I guess he danced okay but it was hard to tell. I'm irritated. The performance was so cluttered and hectic. I think this was unfair. The other dancers so far didn't have the opportunity to hide behind such a big production number. I can't give this a good score. I wasn't entertained. And he was out of hold a lot. He looked happy. But I'm not pleased.
"Hard to see the footwork through the trees" - Tom (Exactly Tom!)
Len: "speed and control, kept your posture"
Bruno: "maintained the frame, footwork much better, a proper Quickstep"
Carrie Ann: "new connectedness, y'all were in sync"
Scores: 9, 8, 8
My score: 7

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Argentine Tango
Pirates of the Caribbean
I was trying not to thing of Riker & Allison's iconic Pirates of the Caribbean dance, which I adore. Luckily this dance was different, with different music. There weren't any exciting lifts in this Argentine Tango - likely because of Frankie's back injury, plus he's a small dude. On the downside, I felt that Witney was leading this dance. But on the plus side, it was passionate, alluring, and fiery at times. Not the best Argentine Tango I've seen, but definitely solid. They covered the floor well. The crowd loved it.
Bruno: "You've got your first blockbuster! Sizzling chemistry"
Carrie Ann: "You've got pirate game! So much intensity - nailed it!"
Len: "proper, swashbuckling routine"
Scores: 10, 9, 10
My score: 8 (Wow, I must be cranky tonight)

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Foxtrot
Moana - He danced to his own song. :)
I doubt that Len will like the rap-ish interlude, but I did, and so did the crowd. The performance felt like a Rumba at first. It was a crisp, clean, uplifting routine. Lots of content, beautiful lines, great musicality. I have high expectations for Jordan, and I was pleased with this routine. Once again, their chemistry was sensational.
Carrie Ann: "unstoppable, delivered it perfectly"
Len: "Foxtrot in hold was so good"
Bruno: "smash hit"
Scores: 10, 10, 10
My score: 9 (Man, I am a toughie tonight! I did not expect the judges to give them a perfect score!)

Nikki Bella & Artem
Jazz
Coco
My internal dialogue during the routine:
Extra dancers - ugh!
Oh good, they're gone!
Oh damn, they're back!
I totally enjoyed this Mexican folk music dance. It's something we haven't seen on "Dancing with the Stars" that I can recall. And that lift with the male dancers hoisting the female dancers was very cool and innovative, I must admit. Good energy and a unique style. Very colorful too. I liked it. Nikki was glowing. She looked happy and comfortable.
Len: "so joyous, full of fun - flavors of Mexico"
Bruno: "fiesta time!"
Carrie Ann: "fantastic, traditional folk dance"
Scores: 9, 9, 9
My score: 9

In jeopardy:
Sasha and Gleb
Frankie & Witney (WHAT!?!?)
I'm not happy that Sasha was eliminated, but I'm relieved that Frankie wasn't voted out. Sasha is a beautiful young woman, and I have enjoyed her watching her journey.

librarianintx

No comments: