Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Showstoppers Nite Part 1

It's Broadway nite on Dancing with the Stars, and with Len away from the panel again, Idina Menzel is the guest judge this week!

Round 1: Broadway performances

Marilu / Derek
Samba (Jersey Boys)
She's trying so hard. And there was a lot of Samba content in this routine. She did well, her footwork was really good, but it was a very safe samba. She didn't get down and dirty like you need to with a samba. It was "samba lite." But she did look hot! And the music was great! Hi Mark Ballas! The judges were pleased with her performance. It was great to Marilu and Derek having fun and being more relaxed with each other.
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Calvin / Lindsay
Waltz (Cats)
"Memories" is one of my all-time favorite songs. This dance was gorgeous!! They had tremendous speed and movement across the floor, and Lindsay's choreography fit perfectly with the swell of the music. Calvin is in it to win it! I am very impressed!
Julianne praised his level of commitment.
Carrie Ann said he was a bit off on his musicality. Really?
Scores: 9, 9, 10, 9 (I thought the scores should have been higher)

James / Sharna (Jenna)
Jazz (The Wiz)
Ugh, it felt like a group dance! It wasn't enough about James and Jenna. It was entertaining, but I was annoyed. The judges pointed out a misstep in the beginning of the routine, but they still loved him.
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Terra / Sasha
Charleston (Sweet Charity)
What a great song for her! The song and the dance really showed off her fun, quirky, outgoing, charming personality. Sasha said he had to modify the choreography, and at times the routine seemed to resemble a quickstep. But I thought it was outstanding, with great lifts, high energy, and a ton of pizzazz. I loved her outfit too!
Scores: 10, 10, 9, 9 (yay!!)

Jana / Gleb
Waltz (Waitress)
What a great partnership they have. I'm so glad that Gleb was able to dance this week. This waltz wasn't as grand and sweeping as Calvin and Lindsay's was; they didn't traverse the entire floor. But it was wonderfully lyrical and emotional. It was absolutely lovely. This season is finally turning into a competition!
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (I'm so happy for them, but I feel like Calvin and Lindsay deserved 10's also)

Laurie / Val
Cell Block Tango (Chicago)
Wow! I've said it before and I'll say it again: She's only 16?!?! Amazing! Hot, sexy, dangerous gancho kicks, and thank goodness neither one of them slipped or tripped on Val's hat! Excellent dance! I didn't mind the extra dancers because they mostly stayed in the background.
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (well-deserved!)

I didn't get to see all of Round 2, so I will have to recap that part later.

End of Part 1



No comments: