Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Halloween Nite Part 1

I am not a Halloween person, so I'll try not to be cranky about this episode. The opening number was very cool, choreographed of course by Mandy Moore.

Len has disappeared again. So one less cranky person tonight. :)

Part 1: Halloween routines (And dancing for immunity!)

Terra / Sasha
Cha Cha (Beetlejuice theme)
An odd choice of song for a cha cha. But Terra and Sasha were super into it, and I think they sold it. Terra's facial expressions were so fun. Very crisp, sharp movements. It took awhile for them to start dancing, but they made the routine very enjoyable to watch. The judges, however, wanted more from them.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Laurie / Val
Viennese Waltz (Willy Wonka theme)
Magical. The dance was beautiful. Laurie's musicality and acting ability are excellent. I loved Val's choreography. I also loved how emotional he was. There is a very strong connection between these two. For Val, it's paternal. If I were Laurie, as a sixteen year old girl, I would have an overwhelming crush on him. Hell, as a forty-something year old woman...Anyway, I digress. :) It all worked for me, and apparently for everyone in the ballroom as well. SO so so sweet.
Scores: 10, 10, 10 (yay!!)

Marilu / Derek
Argentine Tango (Spider web theme)
Holy spiderweb, Marilu was smokin' hot in that costume! Except for the lighter-colored hair, she could have been Morticia Adams. The tango suits her slower style. I thought the partnering and lifts were good, except for the glaring boo boo of Marilu hitting Derek when she tried to put her arm around him. Was that an unconscious payback for her feeling like he pushed her during the group routine last week? Except for that obvious error, I think this was a successful dance. But something feels off between these two. They don't look comfortable with each other. Derek isn't being his normal goofy self.
Scores: 7, 8, 8

Calvin / Lindsay
Quickstep (Skeleton theme)
Poor Calvin; he must have been soaked with sweat under that heavy costume. He is definitely becoming a contender! I felt like maybe he lost a little steam at the end, but it looked like a great quickstep to me - fast with super footwork. The judges loved it!
Scores: 10, 10, 10 (!)

Ryan / Cheryl
Tango
I have held myself back so far from complaining about the extra dancers tonight, but in this routine they were SO distracting! Aargghh! So I'm irritated now. It's like they were deliberately trying to take the focus off of Ryan. His intensity was better, but the tango is not a dance where he can show any independence, which is what the judges wanted to see.
Carrie Ann: "good content, bad posture"
But overall, the judges were happy with this routine.
I might have been more favorable about his dancing if I could have SEEN him more! :(
Scores: 7, 8, 8

Jana / Gleb
Jazz (Little Shop of Horrors theme)
It was a fun, high energy dance with lots of tricks, but at times it looked more like a group routine. So that irritated me. But when it was just Jana and Gleb dancing, it was great, with lots of flips and splits.
Julianne: very Broadway (that was a compliment!)
Bruno: musical comedy (that was also a compliment!)
Scores: 9, 9, 9

James / Sharna (Jenna)
Viennese Waltz (Suicide Squad theme)
Sharna is injured, so James is now partners with Jenna. I thought this was a fantastic dance! He and Jenna had amazing chemistry for a first dance together! And James' partnering skills were excellent. This was a hot, sexy, smoldering Viennese Waltz. WOW! I was very impressed. I have always attributed James' success more to Sharna, but now I see what an accomplished dancer James has become. And Jenna was awesome in this routine too. Laurie and Val stole my heart tonight, but James and Jenna got my pulse racing.
Scores: 10, 10, 10 (!!)

James and Jenna win immunity!

End of part 1


No comments: