Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Finale Part 2

Round Two: Freestyle!

Jana / Gleb
The freestyle dances are often about big production numbers / lots of theatrics, but Jana and Gleb had more than enough sparks with just the two of them. It was a passionate, beautiful, emotional routine, and it was like a metaphor for Jana's life - She was bound, and now she's free. They should be proud of that dance. It was poetry in motion. The lifts were wonderful too.
I saw Gleb's stumble on the replay, but not during the performance. I feel bad that they were so disappointed. It was a gorgeous dance. One stumble did not mar the routine.
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Calvin / Lindsay
Mr. Happy!
How fun was that!
Easily the most personality that we've seen from Calvin all season. This was a big production freestyle routine, and it was a joy to watch. It had all the elements that I want in a freestyle: great dancing, exciting lifts and tricks, personality, innovative aspects (the conveyor belt / subway platform was way cool)
Touchdown Megatron!
I also loved how Calvin was front and center during 95% of the routine. He was the star, as he should be!
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Laurie / Val
I'll just throw out a bunch of adjectives:
fresh
joyful
youthful
vibrant
exuberant
playful
high energy
happy
enthusiastic
It played like part of a Broadway musical to me. I thought it was wonderful.  My only criticism is that there wasn't as much actual dancing as I think there should be in a freestyle. There was a lot of running around, going down a slide, spinning on a merry-go-round, some gymnastic moves. But it was a little short on actual dancing, and I'm surprised that the judges didn't mention that. I'm glad they didn't, and maybe they wouldn't agree with me. But I would think Len especially would say that it was slightly thin on content.
Bruno: "spirit of youth"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

James / Sharna
In nearly every season of Dancing with the Stars, the best freestyle routine usually results in the capture of the mirrorball trophy, regardless of front runner status. The judges have adored James all season. Julianne calls him the best male dancer ever on this show. I think James is very good, but not the best male ever, and not the front runner this season. I think that Laurie deserves to win season 23. But based on this freestyle, I think that James will win. It was a very powerful, emotional routine with a lot of content that played to James' strengths.
Julianne: "you outdo yourself every week"
Bruno: "visual poetry" "unforgettable"
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Results:
Jana and Gleb were eliminated :(
They were a wonderful couple with amazing chemistry, but she doesn't have the fan base that the other contestants have. Some people don't know her well; her blog posts have rubbed some people the wrong way. This should be about her dance ability, not her as a person. But we also have to realize how much improved Calvin is. He has earned his Top 3 spot. It's always tough to come in 4th.

I did not vote, and I regret that. Obviously I have a favorite, and I should have done what I could to see that she wins. But anyway, it has been a good season. Good luck to Laurie, James, and Calvin!

librarianintx

No comments: