Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Behavior at an Awards Luncheon

Late last month I attended an awards luncheon for a state organization. The luncheon was held at an older but elegant hotel in Houston near the stadium. Participants paid $35 per ticket, and we dined on steak, asparagus, potatoes, and cheesecake with strawberries for dessert.

I knew I would need to leave the luncheon early because I was giving a presentation between 2 - 2:30 at an organization in another part of the city. So I sat at a table in the back near a door so I could slip out as quietly as possible. The tables seated eight people, and because I was sitting in the rear, it took awhile for people to sit with me. Eventually, there were five other people at my table. They were a mix of state and company employees. All of them looked to be my age or older. So there were no students at my table, no millennials.

Lunch was served after a brief introduction. Then the awards portion of the afternoon began after lunch. I was disappointed and dismayed to see that as soon as the presentations began, every single person at my table took out their phone. Even though we had been reminded at the beginning of the luncheon to please turn off our cells, or at least put them on vibrate, everyone had their phones in their hands during the entire award ceremony. I can understand maybe taking a look a time or two during the approximately 90 minute presentation. Perhaps they needed to look for an e-mail from work, or a text from a family member. Maybe a doctor's office or pharmacy was supposed to leave a message. But to be scrolling through Facebook during an awards luncheon? I thought it was rude. I guess sitting in the back of the room meant they didn't have to be polite and attentive to what was occurring on stage. Don't get me wrong. I am not exaggerating when I say that I love my phone. I use it a lot. I carry it around with me even at home. But I can put it down when I need to. The people who were recognized at this awards luncheon worked for hard for the accolades they received, and all we had to do as guests was enjoy a nice meal and celebrate their accomplishments. Some of the speeches were very inspiring. I feel sorry for the people at my table who couldn't bother to pay attention. 

librarianintx

No comments: