Sunday, May 08, 2016

Mother's Day

I'm not a mother, and I don't think I ever will be. I don't see myself marrying a man with children still to raise. When I was in high school, I fantasized about a home and children with my then - boyfriend,  but that's all there was to it - a fantasy.

Yes, women with disabilities raise children, but I knew this was not the life I would lead. You have to possess so much physical and emotional fortitude to be a parent - and my stamina in both realms is often sorely lacking.

My father died when I was very young, so I was mostly raised by my mother. She was my everything for so many years, and leaving her daily physical presence to build a life in another city was the hardest thing I've ever done. Raising me and my sister by herself was of course the toughest thing she's ever done, and she did the best she knew how to do. I see her often and we talk on the phone almost daily. I know how difficult it is for her that I live away from her, and I hope she understands that it was a decision I had to make in order to become self sufficient and maintain my independence.

So to all the moms out there - I hope you enjoyed the day set aside specifically to celebrate you and ALL that you do for your families.

librarianintx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Has your fierce desire for indepedence, in some ways, kept your from finding love and happiness found in a love relationship. In another post you mentioned needing a nozzel and kisses at the end of a hard day, what if you could have that every night? Imagine if.