Saturday, May 07, 2016

The Arts

Touching on a theme from my post the other day - I have rather poor balance, and no sense of rhythm. There are many activities I wish I could do - sing,  draw, play an instrument, especially the piano- but I think if I could choose one hobby that I could physically do - I would want to dance. Well, maybe playing the piano and dancing are tied on my wish list. Of the two, playing the piano is a more feasible possibility. My roommate has a keyboard - maybe someday I can take some lessons. My hands are fairly weak and I have a poor sense of timing, so I'm doubtful about a successful foray into playing the piano.

Dancing is even more of a dream. I know that's why Dancing with the Stars is one of my favorite shows. And daydream I often do, especially when I'm on the bus or using Metro Access. Then I see myself floating across the floor in an elegant waltz, kicking and flicking in a high energy jive, shaking my ass in a sexy samba, or being lifted over the head of my partner in an emotional contemporary performance. I know it will never happen, but still I dream. And every season I see celebrities work hard to achieve their dancing dreams, and I cheer them on from my living room couch.

Dreaming is fine, but having realistic goals is important. There are hobbies that I can be successful at, and those are the ones I should focus on. If you spend all your time being upset about what you can't do, you miss out on the opportunity to cultivate that which you can achieve.

librarianintx

No comments: