Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Staying calm in an emergency

Today a co-worker, I'll call her D., was talking to me in my cubicle when she aspirated on the cough drop or candy she was sucking on. I think most of us have been there before - suddenly you've got saliva in your windpipe, and every time you take a breath you make a gasping noise. It's more scary than serious, at least in the short term. For most healthy people, they can clear their airway and cough productively to prevent  pneumonia.

D walked away from my cubicle, and then stood a few paces away, gasping. I feel very guilty that I stayed in my cubicle at first, rooted to my chair in my fear. By the time I went around the corner, another co-worker, LJ, had walked from halfway across the room. Without a word she stood by D and started gently rubbing her back. Her presence was so calm and comforting that within a few seconds D's gasping slowed and then stopped. By then, three more co-workers had walked over. We formed a circle around her, and she was able to talk and say she was okay. Relief was evident, and we all said we've been there before and know how scary it feels.

I marvel at LJ's quick but calm approach that in my opinion brought the situation to a swift resolution. I think her gentle reassurance helped D. to relax and clear her airway more rapidly. Aspirating has always been a frightening occurrence for me because I am more susceptible to pneumonia than the average person. I have always had a big fear of choking. I wish I had been there more for my co-worker, and not become frozen in fear. I'm glad she's okay, and grateful that someone was there who can be brave and strong in an emergency.

librarianintx

No comments: