Monday, September 19, 2022

The State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II

I did not want her to die.

She is a person first and foremost.
A beloved matriarch
Loved by children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and other family
Admired by people in power
Respected by the people of her country, and the Commonwealth
A person of fascination by many around the world.

I certainly do not delight in the outpouring of grief and mourning.

But as a lover of history - I was pleased to be a witness to this historic occasion. 

I have seen grand British funerals in my lifetime.
The ones I remember were for Princess Diana and Prince Phillip

But there has not been a funeral for a British Sovereign in more than 70 years.

There were plenty of images and sounds that evoked sorrow.
The grief on the faces of the family
The glimpse of the Queen's beloved corgis
The hearse dusted with flowers
The bagpipes and the choir

But the pageantry, the precision, the historical significance of the occasion - all of that was magnificent. 

librarianintx 

No comments: