Thursday, September 29, 2022

Hurricane Coverage

www.yahoo.com/entertainment/weather-channel-reporter-hit-flying-201515720.html

Like a lot of people, I get sucked into coverage of big news and weather events. I have had a weather phobia my whole life, so I can get very anxious when severe weather is in my area. When it is not threatening where I live, I am fascinated by it. 

Having said all that, I get frustrated when members of the weather and news media deliberately put themselves in harm's way to get ratings and hype a weather event. They will say repeatedly, "Stay inside! This is a dangerous situation!" and then there they are, in winds so strong they can barely stand, in rushing flood waters, etcetera. They urge residents to evacuate coastal areas, and then they move into hotels on the beach, or set up their equipment in a parking garage nearby. "We're safe here; this is a sturdy structure," they proclaim.

In 2018 Hurricane Michael roared ashore in the Panhandle of Florida as a Category Five storm. I remember that a reporter was broadcasting from a hotel during the height of the storm. He was outside, under an awning, and declared that he was perfectly safe because of said awning. Less than a minute after he went inside, the awning collapsed. 

The viewing public is lucky that we have never had to witness a member of the news media killed by flying debris or struck by lightning on live television. But that doesn't mean it can't happen. Be in the thick of the action if you must, but can't you film from inside and still accurately communicate the gravity of the situation? I don't have to see anyone holding on to a tree for dear life to know that a hurricane can cause destruction and loss of life. There is plenty of time to film damage and talk to residents after the storm has passed.  

librarianintx

No comments: