Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Something You Don't See Every Day

Working next to the Capitol, I have seen a few girls celebrating their quinenera, coming to the Capitol for a photo op on the lush grounds with a backdrop of the majestic building. I have witnessed them arrive in limousines and stretch Hummers, dressed in their ornate princess gowns, attended by a group of young men attired in matching suits. A photographer documents every move as they exit the vehicle and pose as I watch admiringly. They are young, exquisite, and radiant with dreams and promise.

Today I did not see a quincinera girl.

I saw a bride and groom.

I don't know if they got married at the Capitol, or were there for a photo opportunity. It was just the two of them - no entourage. 

They were walking hand in hand, the groom holding her bouquet so she could hold the hem of her long gown with her other hand. Her white wedding dress and veil were adorned with crystals and beads that dazzled against the blue September sky. They both smiled self-consciously as my driver and I waved at them.

Another opportunity for me to see hope and promise and beauty personified. 

librarianintx 

No comments: