Monday, September 20, 2021

Dancing with the Stars Season 30, Episode 1 9/20/21

Season 3-0!!! Wow! How did that happen?

SO happy the ballroom is back! And what a premiere! These contestants can dance!! I am amazed!

I'm not going to go through and talk about every contestant, because especially tonight that would be redundant. Fourteen of the fifteen stars all showed promise to go far in the competition. That has never happened as far as I can recall. 

My top three are all ladies, but likely not the three that you are expecting to me to say, based on judges scores. 

I have chosen Amanda Kloots, Melora Hardin, and Olivia Jade as my top three of the night, with Melanie C as a close fourth. 

So why didn't I choose Suni and JoJo, who got two of the highest scores? 

With regard to Suni, there is no doubt that she would win the technical score of the episode. Suni's Jive was flawless when it came to steps and footwork, but it was lacking in entertainment. Derek said it best: "less precision, more expression." I find this an issue with several of the gymnasts that have been on the show. Their performances are often close to perfect with regard to technique, but they sometimes lack personality and showmanship.  

JoJo and Jenna made history as the first same sex partnership on DWTS, and I am here for it! They did not make my top three because I found their routine to be over the top and manic. A Quickstep is supposed to be fast, but that was like a Quickstep on steroids. It was all a little too much - the music, the lights, it was very hectic. I think they both had too much adrenaline, and that caused Jenna to slip. No, that was not choreographed. I was surprised that picky Carrie Ann gave her highest score to a couple that had a partner who fell. So I am all for J&J, I am excited that history was made, but I can't put them in my top 3 tonight. 

The men were not bad (all but one anyway); they just were not as strong as the women. But I see much potential in most of them. 

Some of my favorite things about nite one:

The music.

The matchy/matchy, colorful costumes.

The excitement and enthusiasm. 

The audience is back!

How strong the partnerships are, especially for week one. 

Derek's bitchy comments to Len. 

And Bruno being Bruno, standing up after every routine to emphasize his critiques. 

Added bonus: Tyra didn't annoy me. 

My only pet peeve: Couples who are dating should not be paired together. I think that COULD give Sharna and Brian Austin Green an unfair advantage. Also, Sharna should not be a blond. She is beautiful no matter what, but I think she is extra stunning as a redhead. 

That's all I've got dance fans.

Much love and excitement for this season!

librarianintx

 



No comments: