Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Dancing with the Stars New York City week Part 1 10/1/18

New York in the house, dance fans! Let's Go! (Thank you Kaycee from "Big Brother") :)

1) DeMarcus & Lindsay
Foxtrot
"Chocolate piece of steel" - DeMarcus
This dance hit all the marks of a good Foxtrot - nice frame, good rise and fall, and ease of movement. It was light, airy, and DeMarcus had musicality and displayed impressive partnering skills. It was indeed a smooth, elegant dance. The judges loved him last week, while I was skeptical. I'm a fan this week! Great job!
Len: "you nailed the footwork - good last week, better tonight"
Bruno: "Easy does it DeMarcus - look like you've danced all your life"
Carrie Ann: "style, sass, sauce, also elegance and softness, sophistication"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8

2) Danelle & Artem
Cha Cha
Once again, I applaud her for giving dancing a go, but I am going to judge her the way I judge any other contestant on this show. I did not see an improvement from last week. She is hesitant. She is unsure of herself. She is obviously having to think about her steps, which means there's little to no fluidity in her movement. I didn't see much Cha Cha content and there was no hip action. Her cane wasn't used in any meaningful way. It might have made sense in a Broadway or Jazz routine, but not in a Cha Cha. Okay, I'll stop now; I can hear booing in my head. And I do feel bad for them that they're both sick.
Bruno: "#1 Respect, #2 Recovered from being on the wrong foot"
Carrie Ann: "Radiance and confidence, but you're counting with your mouth...but amazing"
Len: "great work, clever, carried on from mistake"
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 5

3) John & Emma
Charleston
Extra dancers - stop it!
But overall it was a good performance. Was it a stand out? No. But it was competent. Good musicality and decent speed for a Charleston. The lift at the end was innovative. He struggled a bit to get her up into position, but after that it seemed like he had a solid hold on her.
Carrie Ann: "fantastic, polished, professional, clean, Broadway, showmanship"
Len: "on the right track, great improvement, terrific, but needed more Charleston content"
Bruno: "Grand central spectacular musical - Can I buy a ticket please - first class ride"
Scores: 8, 7, 8
My score: 7

4) Nancy & Val
Cha Cha
Song: "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
Nancy's costume, hair, and styling were 1000% better this week - She looked young, glamorous, stunning! But the music was odd for a Cha Cha. And the female dancers in the background were distracting and unnecessary. I think Nancy had good speed and musicality, with fast, tight turns, but not enough body contact with Val, and possibly not enough Cha Cha content. Still, I liked it. I was entertained. And I have mentioned how fantastic she looked?
Len: "more relaxed, confident - very good, well done"
Bruno: "my kind of girl - attitude, confidence"
Carrie Ann: "you opened up, got more confident"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 7

5) Alexis & Alan
Argentine Tango / Ballet
This was basically a fusion dance. It began with the Ballet part, then Alan (finally!) ripped off the tutu and here came the Tango. The dance had a lot of drama and power, and Alexis displayed outrageous flexibility and extension. She was mighty fierce in this routine. She is definitely a contender, and I hope this performance keeps her out of jeopardy.
Bruno: "You were prima argentina - very very very good job"
Carrie Ann: "stunning, except the lift - nailed the tension"
Len: "great mix of precision and passion"
Score: 8, 9, 8
My score: 8

6) Joe & Jenna
Foxtrot
This was a redemption dance? Okay. Um. I guess there was improvement. He didn't just stand there this week and look like a deer in the headlights, so that's something. But the lift was kind of terrifying. He wasn't ready for that move. I wasn't impressed by his frame or footwork. He has a long way to go. But his popularity will likely keep him in the ballroom. Look at all those smiling young women. Sigh.
Carrie Ann: "the one person with no performance experience - transformation - but there was a lift"
Len: "last week caterpillar; this week a butterfly" (Really Len?!)
Bruno: "lovable, endearing, nice lines - need confidence - I can help you go all the way."
Scores: 5, 6, 6
My score: 5

End of Part 1

librarianintx

No comments: