Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Disney Nite

I'm going to try not to be a Grinch about Disney Nite, y'all.
I just think it's kind of hokey sometimes.
Okay, let's go!

1) Alexis & Alan
Foxtrot
Movie: Pocahontas
Nothing hokey about this routine, so we're off to a good start. Alexis and Alan were aided by great camera work and an overactive fog machine, but they didn't actually need help. It was a beautiful dance. She managed to avoid a few lifts by keeping her toes on the floor during the long spins, and she had a lovely frame, great posture, and wonderful extension. The dance was light, ethereal, and gorgeous. And oh by the way, they're dating, or at least seriously considering dating.
Len: "well-crafted routine, lovely chemistry"
Bruno: "Disney magic stronger than ever, so in tune, exquisitely lyrical, gorgeous"
Carrie Ann: "made me believe in fairytales"
Scores: 10, 9, 10
My score: 9

2) Juan Pablo & Cheryl
Viennese Waltz
Movie: Beauty & the Beast
I am endeavoring not to be cranky about the extra dancers, because this is a nite that will likely include multiple routines with extra dancers. This was a very theatrical performance and while I did enjoy it, I have to channel Len and say, 'It was a bit hectic.' It was more than a little cluttered for my taste - the horde of dancers, the long table, the chandelier - the crowded floor took away their ability to dance the Viennese Waltz in my opinion. But the dancing they did accomplish was quite stellar - fast turns, good hold and frame, it was full of grandeur and style. He makes a very dashing leading man, mullet and all.
Bruno: "nailed that character, feel, style, and content spot on"
Carrie Ann: "So good! Flair, finesse"
Len: "dance mirrored the music, gusto and zest, you are a fantastic dancer"
Scores: 10, 9, 10
My score: 9

3) Demarcus & Lindsay
Charleston
Movie: Hercules
I love watch lifts by Demarcus and Lindsay. He is so strong and she is so fearless! He picks her up and holds her high in the air like she's a feather; I'm never worried that he's going to drop her. So the lifts were great. But I thought his footwork was rather sloppy. He seemed off with the music. The lifts were spectacular, but I felt he needed more work on the dance elements. I had high expectations for this routine, but I was a little disappointed.
Oh my goodness, Lindsay lost her shoe! I didn't see that! Way to carry on, girl!
Carrie Ann: "A hero is born! Breakthrough! Athleticism, grace"
Len: "jam-packed with lifts and tricks, wonderful job, but not a lot of Charleston"
Bruno: "theater man, Broadway, leading man, most complete performance to date"
Scores: 9, 8, 9
My score: 8

4) Evanna & Keo
Jazz
Movie: Tangled
I simply adore the enthusiasm and joy that she infuses into every dance. You can tell she loves being in the ballroom and performing every week. And Keo is thrilled to have a partner who can dance! Their dance this week was magic. Great chemistry, airy lifts, entertaining routine.
Len: "light and shade, lovely feel to it, but not spectacular - well danced, nice routine"
Bruno: "you have found your stride, but you chase the music"
Carrie Ann: "you did Disney proud, but don't rush - You have the talent"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 9

5) Joe & Jenna
Jive
Movie: Wreck it Ralph
I saw growth! I saw some actual dancing! I'm choosing to look at the positives with Joe tonight. Yes, there was still too much of him standing still. But I saw him make some real attempts. He had a little bounce. He tried some kicks. His partnering skills were decent. And he looked happy. This was your best dance Joe!
Bruno: "a very faint glimmer of hope - timing is better - you tried - work on the quality"
Carrie Ann: "go Joe! Vast improvement, seemed more confident"
Len: "You get knocked down, but you dust yourself off and you give it your all - lacked Jive content" 
Scores: 6, 5, 6
My score: 6

6) Mary Lou & Sasha
Contemporary
Movie: Mulan
You could tell the song and the dance meant a lot to Mary Lou; she was emotional at times during routine, and definitely after the dance. I think her emotions got the better of her. She was a little stiff, especially in the beginning, not as relaxed and fluid as a contemporary routine should be. She and Sasha are both short, so the lifts were competent but not spectacular. I appreciate her vulnerability and I love the song like she does, but I wanted a little more from the performance.
Carrie Ann: "I live for these moments - you connected with all of us deeply"
Len: "gentle, understated, fluidity, musicality - competent, nice routine"
Bruno: "determination, you get there eventually, enjoy it!"
Scores: 9, 8, 8
My score: 8

7) John & Emma
Quickstep
Movie: The Jungle Book
John at 58 is NOT old! I think he coped very well with the Quickstep - nice speed, good footwork and posture, and very good musicality and enthusiasm. He had a little bobble pulling Emma between his legs (that sounds dirty), but otherwise his partnering skills were solid. I especially liked the strong finish. Nice job John!
Len: "high energy, lots of content, spectacular job"
Bruno: "brought sparkle to the jungle, proper, recognizable Quickstep"
Carrie Ann: "best performance as a whole, just a few snafus"
Scores: 8, 8, 8
My score: 8 (almost a 9)

8) Bobby & Sharna
Waltz
Movie: The Little Mermaid
It's hard to take Bobby seriously, even though I think he is serious about this competition, and he wants to do well. Bobby needs to work on control and finesse. He needs refinement. It's good when spins are tight and fast, but his spins more than bordered on out of control. I was worried about Sharna at times, and I shouldn't have to worry about her safety DURING A WALTZ! Reign it in Bobby!
Bruno: "catch of the day, slippery at times, brave effort"
Carrie Ann: "still holding the pose, there is improvement"
Len: "outside your comfort zone, played it straight, proper Waltz"
Scores: 7, 7, 7
My score: 7

9) Milo & Witney
Quickstep
Movie: The Incredibles 2
OMG, their outfits! I had trouble not focusing on their little speedos (unitards). Action packed indeed! I loved Milo's daring entrance on to the dance floor. It was a fast Quickstep, nice speed and body contact. I adore Milo's youthful energy and enthusiasm!
Carrie Ann: "incredible! fabulous routine! full of life and zest"
Len: "full of zippity do da, but not enough body contact" [mmmm]
Bruno: "Blockbuster! Bring on the sequel!"
Scores: 9, 8, 10
My score: 9

In jeopardy:
Demarcus & Lindsay
Alexis & Alan
What?! John, Bobby, and especially Joe are safe AGAIN?!

BUT NO ONE GOES HOME ON DISNEY NITE!
PSYCH!
YAY!!

librarianintx

No comments: