Wednesday, December 20, 2017

"Be On Time Chronicles" 12/20/17

I talk and write so much about the difficulties with para-transit service, but I also need to mention when the service works well. For two Saturdays in December I volunteered to work the will call desk for Chorus Austin - first for their "On A Winter's Eve," holiday concert, and then for the "Sing it Yourself Messiah." In both cases I needed a manicure before I handed tickets to concert goers. Nail polish does not stay on my fingernails long, because I often use the nails and tips of my fingers to open things.

On both Saturdays I went to Walmart before heading to the church. A few nail salons operate near my apartment, but I chose the one inside Walmart because I knew I could get food and use a restroom there if I needed to. In both cases, my rides worked out very well. On the first Saturday, I was finished with the manicure early enough to jog across the parking lot to Panera and have a hearty bowl of turkey chili before my ride arrived. The second Saturday was colder and a little wet, so I stayed inside Walmart and bought the holiday cards I needed. I had food with me, so I didn't buy any, but I eyed a turkey wrap that looked tasty.

On both weekends, I didn't have to wait long for my connecting ride to the church, and I was transported directly to my destination. I was thirty minutes early in each instance, but that was okay. The church was open, singers were arriving for their call time, and other volunteers were setting up for the concerts. On both Saturdays I received compliments on my manicure and coordinating sweater. I was festive and giddy with the spirit of the holiday season, and a feeling of satisfaction that my schedule had been successful not just once, but twice!

It feels so wonderful when transportation works well for me. That doesn't happen very often, unfortunately. It is especially helpful that there are other places I could have walked to near Walmart if I had time. There are various eateries besides Panera in that shopping complex, including a Middle Eastern and a New Orleans-style restaurant. There's also another nail salon, a hair salon, and a frozen yogurt establishment. Maybe one day I'll take a day and get my hair cut, my nails polished, have a nice meal, and do a little shopping, all in one para-transit excursion. Getting the timing right would take some planning, but I'm up for the challenge!

librarianintx

No comments: