Monday, December 18, 2017

What to do when you feel like shit (article)

Fifteen Easy Things You Can Do to Help When You Feel Like Shit

http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/15-easy-things-you-can-do-to-help-when-you-feel-like-shit/

1) Get a drink of water
2) Make your bed
3) Take a shower
4) Have a snack - not junk food!
5) Take a walk
6) Change your clothes
7) Change your environment
8) Talk to someone - not on the Internet - it can be about anything
9) Dance to an upbeat guilty pleasure song
10) Get some exercise
11) Accomplish something - even if it's something tiny
12) Hug an animal
13) Make a "done" list instead of a "to-do list"
14) Watch a YouTube video that always makes you laugh
15) Give yourself permission to feel shitty

End of list

My comments:
I've only posted the main ideas here - read the article for more information. I am a big proponent of all of these - I have done them all at some point, and they all help. When you feel bad, for whatever reason - short-term illness, chronic illness, depression, anxiety - having the motivation to implement any of these activities can be a daunting task. But hopefully it will help to know that all of these possess the power to make you feel better, at least for awhile.

Here are a few other ideas that have worked for me:
1) Do something for someone
If you can get out of the house, volunteer somewhere, offer to babysit, house sit, dog sit, etc. If you can't get out of the house, or aren't able to volunteer on a regular basis, then consider being a pen pal, a mentor, someone who checks in on someone else, etc. Use pen and paper, telephone, or the Internet to communicate and focus on someone else, instead of ruminating on yourself and your problems.
2) Practice mindfulness
The basic principle of mindfulness is to live in the moment, not thinking about the future or the past. Live just for today. Sometimes when I'm having a particularly bad day, I don't think about the entire day, because it seems too overwhelming. So I say to myself, "Just get through the next hour (half hour, minute, etc)" I remind myself that I have felt this bad before, and it always gets better. In fact, that should be it's own bullet point:
3) Remind yourself that IT ALWAYS GETS BETTER. How you are feeling at one particular moment of the day does not mean that you will always feel that way. Feelings are transient. Moods are transient. Physical and emotional pain are transient. They come and go, ebb and flow, rise and fall. 
4) Don't forget to breathe. Pain and anxiety can cause you to hold your breath or breathe shallowly, which can exacerbate the symptoms you already have. You don't have to necessarily take a lot of deep breaths or learn any kind of technique, although being aware of your breath through meditation or yoga can definitely be helpful. Also look into relaxation exercises. When I'm tired, anxious, and/or stressed, I often hunch my shoulders and clench my legs, which can contribute to my pain, fatigue, and anxiety.
5) Don't compare yourself or your life to anyone else's.
I am a big fan of social media, but it can definitely have it's drawbacks. If you are feeling bad about your life, it might be time for a break from Facebook, or at least a mini vacation. Instead of spending hours there, just check in a few times a day, and if reading posts makes you feel frustrated and sad about your life, close the application, and do something else. Understand this: Facebook can make everyone's life appear better / happier / more successful than yours. That is a fallacy. Sure, some people do have great lives. But everyone has problems. EVERYONE.
6) Find something to focus on.
I understand how hard that can be when you are in physical or emotional pain, or suffering from fatigue. But having a hobby or interest can take your mind away from how you're feeling. Anything is better than ruminating. Play a game, binge watch a show, read a book, get lost in YouTube, journal, cook or bake something, etc. Many times I have been anxious, tired, worried, etc, and when I've been able to focus on something, I'll suddenly realize that time has passed and I'm feeling a lot better.
7) Organize
This is a big one for me. I feel much better when I'm organized and my surroundings are less cluttered. If I'm feeling bad or anxious, cleaning or organizing something can really help. I'm also a list maker. Getting thoughts out of my head and down on paper or in an app helps me tremendously, especially when I'm very busy, preparing to travel, etc.
8) Practice gratefulness
Every negative aspect of your life can be turned into a reason for gratitude. Negativity is a choice, and so is positivity. The person who has to work three jobs to make ends meet has two choices. He can grumble and say, "Its not fair that I have to work so hard and other people hardly work at all and have plenty of money." Or he can say, "I'm thankful that I'm strong enough to work so hard, and that I have a roof over my head and food to eat." The harried mother can say, "All I do is cook and clean and no one appreciates me" or she can think to herself, "I'm happy to be able to take care of my family and make sure they are fed and have clean clothes." It's true, life isn't fair. Some people do have it easier than others. Comparing your life to others will never make you happy. Finding contentment with your existence, while always striving to improve your situation, will be the key to your success.

librarianintx

No comments: