Friday, December 01, 2017

"Be on Time Chronicles" 12/1/17

Sometimes when I get in the vehicle in the morning I'm just too tired to read or listen to music or try to write in my journal. I hate sitting there and doing nothing, vaguely watching cars and dwellings and businesses roll by. I want to be productive in some way during these often long commutes.

Today I was tired, but I made the effort to put my headphones on, adjust the volume on my phone, and tap into the audio book I'm reading. And for about five minutes, it was nice. My ear buds were in and comfortable, the volume was at a good setting, and I was able to concentrate on the story. Success! I wasn't wasting time. I was doing something. Something that I enjoy.

The brief contentment was interrupted by a passenger boarding the bus, and an immediate conversation ensued between her and the driver. A rather loud, boisterous interaction. Two apparently morning-type personalities, cheerfully talking over the noise of the short bus engine and the heater. The perfect volume of my audio book became a muffled, often incoherent voice, but I struggled to pay attention. I knew it was going to be a long ride, and I didn't want to give up on my activity.

And then we picked up another client. I don't know her name, but I ride with her a few times a week now, since she lives in a nearby apartment complex. I'll give her the nickname "Christmas Music Girl." Because for at least the past two weeks, every single time we pick her up, she immediately opens her phone and starts playing Christmas music. Without asking permission from the driver. Without asking the other passengers if they want to listen to Christmas music. And of course without offering or thinking to use headphones.

Radios were taken out of the Metro Access vehicles years ago, evidently because one or more clients complained about music or talk radio stations that were played by the drivers. I detested having to listen to Rush Limbaugh on some afternoons, but I wasn't one of the complainers. Other clients have asked to play music on their phones or portable devices, and the drivers have told them they need to wear headphones. No driver has told Christmas Music Girl to put on headphones. Because who would object to Christmas music, right? Everyone loves Christmas music!

So I had to abandon the audio book. I opened my Spotify app and revved up my "Empowerment Playlist." I managed to listen during the remainder of the journey, even though Natasha Beddingfield's "Unwritten" and Sara Bareillis' "Brave" had a tough time competing with "Feliz Navidad" and the  Chipmunk's Christmas song, whatever the hell it's called.

I don't hate Christmas music. And I'm not always a Grinch during this time of year. I just want people to be respectful of others - of people's time, feelings, interests, etc.

Don't assume that everyone likes a genre of music.

Ask.

Be understanding if you don't get the answer you hoped for.

Plan ahead.

Bring headphones.

And use them!

Happy Holidays! 😇

librarianintx

No comments: