Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Dancing with the Stars Season 25 Finale recap - 11/20/17

We have reached the finals of Season 25 dance fans! I'm sorry some of my recaps have been so late. I appreciate everyone who reads them. Here we go!

Round One: Redemption Dances

Drew Scott & Emma
Paso Doble
I thought his Paso the first time was decent, at least for him, so... But this one was better. Improved frame, shaping, footwork. He had attack and determination. He tried his best to play the part. And Emma is so amazing; she makes him look like a better dancer than he is. Drew knows he's the weak link in the Final Four; he doesn't need anyone to tell him that. I think he did his best, and I'm proud of him for that.
Bruno: "proud of you, makeover worked"
Carrie Ann: "your best dance"
Len: "finesse, quality and control"
Julianne: "confident, peace, easy, most improved"
My score: 9
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Foxtrot
I love Frankie, AND I have to say that I personally enjoy boy band-wanna be Frankie more than this Fred Astaire-wanna be Frankie. I can't find fault with the performance really. He was dashing and smiling and showed a lot of personality. He danced big and they covered the floor and his partnering skills were good, even though Witney was taller than him, with her heels and big hair. His frame and posture seemed good. It was a very strong performance. I just wasn't over the moon about it. I would have wanted him to re-do another routine, but I have to remember that this wasn't his choice. The judges pick the redemption dances.
Carrie Ann: "full transformation - form, shape, confidence, freedom
Len: "more accomplished, polished"
Julianne: "transported back to the Golden Age of Hollywood"
Bruno: "Mr. Blue Eyes, flair and confidence, stylish and effective"
My score: 9
Scores: 10, 9, 10, 9

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Charleston
Jordan is in it to win it! Holy cow that was a Tour de Force Charleston! They attacked this dance with the same lightning precision and enthusiasm that they did with the Jive last week. Amazing speed, fantastic personality and musicality, exciting tricks. This dance had it all. The crowd behind them only made the dance more electric. Jordan is in a class by himself this season, truly. I am so impressed. It was an odd choice of music for a Charleston, but it worked for them. They are young, so energetic and so focused. The song put a new spin on an old dance style. I loved it!!
Len: "I saw so much, so full on, so full of energy"
Julianne: "When I watch you, I become a fan"
Bruno: "You two are perfectly in tune, extraordinary"
Carrie Ann: "You continue to push yourself"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Quickstep
I said Jordan is in a class by himself, but Lindsey is nipping at his heels. That was a fantastic Quickstep. It had the old Hollywood feel of a Frankie's Foxtrot, but Lindsey showed even more personality, pizzaz. and showmanship. The music fit perfectly with the dance, and Lindsey always has amazing musicality. For all of Mark's creativity, this was a proper, by-the-books Quickstep. Nearly all of the dance was in hold, which Len should love. It was outstanding. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Julianne: "nailed the posture"
Bruno: "criminally good, silk smooth, elegant, fantastic"
Carrie Ann: "new strength, most improved"
Len: "no fiddlin' about, maintained control, awesome"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Round Two: Freestyle!

Definitely the freestyle is my favorite round on "Dancing with the Stars." And usually the best and most popular freestyle will result in a mirrorball victory.

Drew Scott & Emma
That was a super fun routine! It was busy, but it was also stylish and quirky. It was very Drew and Emma. It felt like part of musical. I was very impressed by Drew's musicality. And those lifts and tricks - WOW! They were so daring, but they actually executed them very well, and I was as nervous as I thought I'd be. Drew was the star of this dance, which was so nice to see. He did NOT look like a weak link in this performance!
Len: "You have become a hot property"
Julianne: "exactly what a freestyle should be"
Bruno: "exceeded all expectations, made the number yours"
Carrie Ann: "crowd pleaser, but you weren't in sync"
My score: 10
Scores: 9, 10, 10, 10

Frankie Muniz & Witney
It was a very strong, very powerful routine, but again, I would have preferred boy band Frankie. That is the Frankie that I enjoy most. He and Witney were definitely front and center during the performance, but Witney is such a dynamic performer that I thought Frankie did not get to shine as much as he could have, and should have. They did a lot of dancing together - nothing wrong with that - but Frankie should have had more solo moments, and maybe he should have worn a different color. He needed to stand out more. He got a little lost.
Julianne: "You didn't play it safe, you took a risk"
Bruno: "awesome, moody and menacing, Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation"
Carrie Ann: "really happy you made this choice, but you lost a little steam"
Len: "You gave it your all"
My score: 9
Scores: 9, 9, 10, 10

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
What a showstopper!
This routine had everything but the kitchen sink!
Jordan is so light on his feet and has so much musicality in him; he made this routine look effortless. I especially loved that he was front and center pretty much the entire time. No one stole his spotlight. Lindsay was even in the background sometimes. This routine reminded me of Riker and Allison's freestyle. But I was rather disappointed in that one because I wanted a rocker, youthful vibe from them. This was old Hollywood / Bob Fosse musical vibe, but with youth, energy, and so much creativity. Kudos to you, Lindsay! It was an amazing performance. They nailed it, and Jordan didn't drop anything!
Bruno: "sensational, show stopping, star power, superstar"
Carrie Ann: "never cease to amaze me"
Len: "cracker jack of a number, I loved it, brilliant"
Julianne: "everything but the kitchen sink (I said it first, Julianne!) :)
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
This was one of the most creative freestyles we have ever seen, and it was tailor made for Lindsey! The majority of the dance was just her and Mark, which is unusual for a freestyle. The big lift, spin was incredible!! I don't know how in the world she was able to stay on her feet after that. That takes skill! It was a figure skater kind of spin. And something else that takes mad skill: dancing and doing lifts WHILE you're playing the violin! That was absolutely phenomenal. This was not my favorite freestyle, but I am very impressed, and I can appreciate what an amazingly difficult and complex routine this was. This will be a freestyle that people will talk about for awhile, and that's what you want a freestyle to be. Fantastic! And like Jordan, Lindsey was the absolute star of this dance.
Carrie Ann: "girl, you represent! Best showcase of your talent"
Len: "War on the floor, fantastic competition"
Julianne: "masterpiece of awesomeness"
Bruno: "modern classic extravaganza, Brava!"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10

Elimination:
Drew & Emma left the ballroom. Sad, but it was the right decision. He should be very proud of making it to the finals.

librarianintx

No comments: