Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Dancing with the Stars - Halloween Nite - 10/30/17

More than a week late again - My apologies. Thanks for reading anyway! :)

Part I: Individual dances

Victoria Arlen & Val
Viennese Waltz
Refreshing that it was a proper Viennese Waltz with no gimmicks - no props (other than fog), no extra dancers, no Halloween storyline really. They just danced. And it was lovely. Nice lines, good movement across the floor, romantic. Their tough week paid off.
Len: "super, and a naturalness that was delightful"
Bruno: "so fluid and ethereal"
Carrie Ann: "connection with the story"
My score: 9
Scores: 9, 9, 9

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Paso Doble
I understand the storyline with the wolf pack, but I still don't think it's fair that some contestants get big production numbers and some don't. Victoria didn't have a bunch of extra dancers to hide behind, or be improved by. When the extra dancers were in this number, they cluttered the stage and they were distracting. But at the same time, this was a fantastic routine. Hectic at times, yes, but also exhilarating. The assisted lifts / throws were very exciting. It was a thrilling Paso. And Jordan is one of the most professional-looking contestants we've seen on "Dancing with the Stars." He has technique, flair, drama, and outstanding chemistry with Lindsay. I love watching them.
Bruno: "biggest, baddest Paso ever"
Carrie Ann: "aggressive, outside your comfort zone, powerful"
Len: "tricks and treats"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10

Nikki Bella & Artem
Jive
The music was entertaining; it was a cute theme, but I thought Nikki was rather weak on the Jive elements. Her kicks and flicks were just okay, her bounce wasn't great, she didn't have much musicality. It was just fair to me.
Carrie Ann: "didn't connect as well to the music"
Len: "lacked a bit of punch, but not a horror story"
Bruno: "few mishaps"
My score: 8
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Vanessa Lachey & Maks
Paso Doble
Too much fog, too many extra dancers, too much bright lighting, too much build up in the beginning. But the rest of the routine was fabulous. It was fast and slow, had plenty of attack and drama, and sensuality. Vanessa played her part very well. I loved the ending, when Vanessa turned her head and Maks and the zombies fell to the ground. That was awesome. A very exciting routine.
Len: "lacking a bit in Paso Doble choreography"
Bruno: "that was a fright fest"
Carrie Ann: "sometimes you lost your balance"
My score: 9
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Terrell Owens & Cheryl
Tango
Terrell's performance of the Halloween aspects of the dance was great - He really got into the character of the dance. His Tango elements, however, get a mixed review from me. His shaping was very good, as was his footwork, but they stayed in place too much for me. It was a little stagnant at times, but overall solid.
Bruno: "super slick with a deadly bite, correct Tango"
Carrie Ann: "don't stop the movements, keep the flow"
Len: "captured the staccato feel"
My score: 9
Scores: 8, 8, 9

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Paso Doble
What rib injury? Not that I don't believe her, but I'm just saying she performed to her usual high standard. The music (her own composition) added to and enhanced the excitement of the dance. It was passionate, bold, fierce, thrilling. Their fall at the end was very dramatic.
Carrie Ann: "you are the beast - that was a very difficult routine"
Len: "you came out with attack and aggression"
Bruno: "so ambitious and intriguing"
My score: 10
Scores: 9, 9, 9

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Contemporary
Oooh, that was so deliciously creepy! Frankie made an uncomfortably good stalker! I don't like being scared, but I thought this was an awesome routine! The beginning - when Frankie was "outside" - his movements were so in sync with Witney's! Their dance was high octane - chasing and throwing each other around - it was full of passion and adrenaline. They were both so into it I was afraid they were going to get hurt. Their acting was truly mesmerizing. Outstanding routine!
Len: "fantastic"
Bruno: "truly inspired, dramatic tension, spine tingling good"
Carrie Ann: "you elevated what dance is, the "Dancing with the Stars" Emmy goes to...."
My score: 10

Drew Scott & Emma
Charleston
So I got spoiled on social media before I watched the episode, so I know the fall was not part of the routine. I'm surprised that the judges didn't catch it. It didn't look intentional. But except for the fall it was a solid routine - plenty of Charleston elements and decent partnering skills. Drew is giving it everything he has.
Bruno: "kept up with the change of tempo"
Carrie Ann: "quirky, but it works - one of your best dances"
Len: "you've come back to life"
My score: 8
Scores: 9, 9, 9

Part 2: Team dances
Scores: 10, 10, 10 

Team Monster Mash:
Nikki & Artem, Terrell & Cheryl, Jordan & Lindsay, Lindsey & Mark
It was a cute routine, but I wasn't bowled over by it. I didn't understand the costumes. But I thought everyone did well. The couples seemed evenly matched. But I didn't love all the moving scenery. I thought it was just okay. Not spectacular.
Len: "this was a bit messy"
Bruno: lost a lot of sync"
Carrie Ann: "you all under-danced, didn't engage me"
My score: 8
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Team Phantom of the Opera:
Vanessa & Maks, Victoria & Val, Frankie & Witney, Drew & Emma
The "underdog team" did a fantastic job! They were SO in sync! I loved the music and the way they traversed the dance floor. They also seemed pretty evenly matched, but they didn't resort to a bunch of stage props and gimmicks. They just went out there and danced. Great work! A very exciting ending too. And I loved the costumes!
Bruno: "splendid theatrical extravaganza"
Carrie Ann: "best, most exquisite dance ever"
Len: "most polished dance ever"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10

Elimination:

I was also spoiled on social media with who got eliminated. I feel bad that the double elimination wasn't revealed until the very end. Vanessa did NOT deserve to go home. I thought she would make it to the finale. I love her personality, and I think she's a very good dancer. Boooo!!!

librarianintx

No comments: