Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Dancing with the Stars Semi-Finals Part Two recap 11/13/17

Part Two: Iconic Dances
For what it's worth, I don't usually care for this round of "Dancing with the Stars." Iconic dances are iconic for a reason: They were so spectacular that they shouldn't be recreated, because the recreation hardly ever lives up or exceeds the original dance. Anyway, here we go...

Drew Scott & Emma
Recreating Corbin Bleu & Karina's Jazz routine
That move was WAY too hard for Drew - SO RISKY! Emma was crazy to try it, and she's so lucky she didn't get hurt. They pulled it off, but barely. I was cringing and SO nervous! Honestly, I was not a fan of this routine. The timing seemed really off. The music was too fast; I don't feel like the dancers kept up with the pace. It was a big production number but it felt sluggish, not enough pizzaz. And I thought the costume was all wrong for Drew; the color was bad on him. Blah.
Len: "great imagination, but work on finesse"
Bruno: "captured the spirit of the dance, but timing and sharpness were off"
Carrie Ann: "naturally high expectations - you went for it, but the lifts were a bit sloppy, and I was scared. Never do that lift again" (AMEN Carrie Ann!)
My score: 8
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Victoria Arlen & Val
Recreating Amber Riley & Derek's Charleston routine
It took them FOREVER to start dancing, but once they did, it was a very strong routine. Victoria was the most relaxed I've ever seen her; she was even singing along as she danced. The music was more suited to Amber, but Victoria coped very well with it, and showed a lot of personality and charisma as well as proper Charleston elements. Great job Victoria! This was one of your best dances! The audience loved it.
Bruno: "acting was right on the money - charm, wit, timing were spot on"
Carrie Ann: "I forgot about Amber and Derek - this was all yours"
Len: "full of energy; that was a performance"
My score: 9 (almost a 10)
Scores: 9, 10, 10

Jordan Fisher & Lindsay
Recreating Paige VanZant & Mark's Jive routine
Paige and Mark's Jive is in my Top 10 dances of all time on "Dancing with the Stars." I didn't think anyone could recreate it with any degree of success. But holy cow, Jordan and Lindsay totally did!! WOW!!! It was amazeballs! I can't say it was better than the original, but I can say it was just about as spectacular as the original. Jordan and Lindsay were ON FIRE in this performance! So much enthusiasm, so much power, so much attack, so much speed, and with excellent technique! The first time I watched it I thought Jordan's arms flailed a bit at times, but on second viewing I didn't see that at all. It was an incredible dance!!
Carrie Ann: (standing ovation): "marathon of all Jives"
Len: "the yardstick of Jives"
Bruno: "very rarely can a remake top an original, but this one did!"
My score: 10
Scores: 10, 10, 10

Lindsey Stirling & Mark
Recreating Meryl Davis & Maks' Tango routine
This was a superb dance. Loads of Tango content, and the music fit so well with the choreography. Excellent speed, frame, and lots of time in hold. I didn't love the flashing lights and lasers, but the routine was top notch. Excellent!
Len: "plenty of snap, crackle, and pop - proper Tango"
Bruno: "raised your game tonight"
Carrie Ann: "balanced chemistry - just a few mistakes"
My score: 10
Scores: 9, 9, 10

Frankie Muniz & Witney
Recreating Apollo Anton Ono & Julianne's Paso Doble
They both totally sold that dance, Witney even more than Frankie. Frankie doesn't have the sex appeal, the male charisma of Apollo, but he gave this dance everything he had. He did his best to be strong, fierce, powerful, tough. He's not matador material, but he made a valiant effort. I applaud the attempt.
Bruno: "so macho, so violent, great attitude, work on your shoulders"
Carrie Ann: "stuff in between was only good, but loved the knee slides"
Len: "not enough shaping, but can't beat the spirit"
My score: 9
Scores: 9, 8, 9

Elimination:
Victoria & Val left the ballroom. :( I'm sad for her, I know she was devastated, but I hope she feels very proud of herself, because it is truly amazing what she was able to do on the show. In all fairness, it should have been Drew that went home, but as I always say, "Dancing with the Stars" is a popularity contest first and a dance competition second. Talent and dance ability often, but not always, gets contestants to the finale.

librarianintx

No comments: