Monday, October 10, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Most Memorable Year Part 1

Gorgeous opening, choreographed by Mandy Moore!
I'm hoping not to be cranky like I was last week. I don't think I will be. I love "Most Memorable Year" night.

Maureen / Artem
Foxtrot
Marcia Marcia Marcia had a cocaine habit?!?! Actually, I knew that; I read her book.
Maureen looks beautiful tonight! And I thought her foxtrot was absolutely lovely. She radiated joy through the entire dance. It took awhile for them to cover the entire floor, but they finally did. I loved it. Maureen is a dancer, and she could not be more excited! The judges loved it too. That was so incredibly sweet. How cute to see Maureen, her husband, and Artem holding each other as they heard the scores.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

No cranky pants yet!

Calvin / Lindsay
Jazz
Calvin's most memorable year was when he broke Jerry Rice's record. Jerry Rice - a DWTS alum.
I spoke too soon about the no cranky pants. Extra dancers - ugh! This was not a Grease re-interpretation. Why were they there! And what's up with the super bright lights. I felt temporarily blinded during Maureen's dance too. Anyway, it took awhile for Calvin and Lindsay to get into dance, but once they did, it was quite strong, with some daring lifts. Calvin is so tall; it looked like Lindsay could touch the ceiling on that first lift. I love the song too. So overall the dance gets a thumbs up from me, extra dancers and all. And hello Jerry Rice! He is so fun! Calvin didn't know that Jerry was going to throw him the ball; it was a surprise for him!
The judges were enthusiastic, but said they think he can do even more.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Jana / Gleb
Contemporary
Her most memorable year is this year, when she gave birth to her daughter. But she also talks about an abusive relationship that resulted in an attempted murder charge - he tried to kill her. Whoa.
The dance was BEAUTIFUL! Lovely lifts, and what incredible trust Jana had to have in Gleb to take that fall into his arms. That move actually made me gasp. They have such a strong connection. I love watching them dance. Julianne's comments about perseverance made me tear up too.
Scores: 9, 8, 9

Latin Nite next week! Yes!!

My mom and I went to the tour last December, and we absolutely loved it! I will be investigating tickets after the episode.

Ryan / Cheryl
Contemporary
His most memorable year was when he won his first gold medal. No surprise there. He dedicated the dance to his mom. Sweet.
It was a very dramatic dance, and between the moves and the lyrics of the song, it made me think about the extreme highs and lows that Ryan experienced at the summer Olympics. The lifts were spectacular, especially the one that ended with Cheryl doing a slow back bend. That move also drew a gasp from me. They looked super sexy too; Ryan's physique looked very good in a sheer, open shirt. I have to say, these contestants are bringing their "A" games tonight! I'm still conflicted about Ryan the person. But I was impressed with Ryan the dancer. The judges were impressed with both his dancing and his vulnerability.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Laurie / Val
Paso Doble
Laurie's most memorable year is this year of course, when she won individual and team medals at the Olympics.
The beginning was very un-Paso, but once she escaped from the box, the rest of the dance was all paso. And wow, wow, wow. She looked so professional and mature out there. The speed was incredible. I thought I saw a slight bobble at one point, but otherwise, damn near perfect. I am so impressed. She is with a doubt the front runner. And I absolutely love Val's choreography. But man, the production team needs to do something about that bright light. I got blinded again. Bruno called her "a force of nature," but he did point out that she had some mistakes. Carrie Ann didn't like the opening; she felt it was unnecessary. Julianne disagreed with Carrie Ann. I liked the fire and the passion in the opening, but I agree that it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the dance.
Scores: 8. 9. 8

End of Part 1

librarianintx




No comments: