Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Latin Nite Part 1

Hello dance fans!

Not even a presentation at work today, a minor car accident yesterday, or a possibly dead laptop can keep me from one of the biggest nights on DWTS: Latin Night! And Mr. Worldwide is in the house tonight! Let's go!

I have to say, though, that Latin night with this group of contestants scares me. Do most of them know they have hips, and do they know how to shake them?

Ryan / Cheryl
Salsa
Well, once his shirt came off, his hips started moving fairly well. The blacklight part was cool - Cheryl's cute little outfit lit up, as did Ryan's chest. I thought he was sexier before the pants came off though, because the knee pads made the shorts comical. But anyway, I felt that Cheryl did most of the work in the routine. All the judges except Carrie Ann were more enthused than me.
Scores: 7, 8, 8, 7

Terra / Sasha
Paso Doble
I loved their costumes! They both rocked the purple! And I thought their paso was strong - passionate, fierce. She made her movements as big as she possibly could. Her performance tonight reminded me of when Carrie Ann told her, "You dance beyond your body." However, the judges were not enthusiastic. They said it was not her best dance, which is nice speak for "That really wasn't good." I was afraid she would get all 7's after the critique, but she didn't. She got the same score as Ryan, but his critique was better.
Scores: 7, 8, 8, 7

Amber / Maks
Cha Cha
Well, she definitely had the sex kitten vibe going, and I thought her cha cha was decent, but not great. Len would have complained how long it took for the dance to get going. I still want Amber to be better than this. I have just not seen enough improvement to say that she should still be in the competition. The judges want her to really go for it, and I do too! Let loose, Amber!
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7

James / Sharna
Rumba
He doesn't think he had the sexy in him, but he definitely does, and he brought it! That was a much faster rumba that what I'm used to, and I thought one or two of the moves were a little wonky, but overall very good technique, and very sexy and steamy. Julianne thinks he's the best male contestant they've ever had on the show. Mmmmm. Better than Apollo Anton Ono? Better than Gilles Marini? I can't say I agree with her, but he is doing very well in the competition, and giving Laurie a run for her money.
Scores: 10, 9, 9, 10

Marilu / Derek
Cha Cha
She did so well last week, but I feel like she took a step back this week. The dance was just too slow and tentative. The moves were there, but not the speed, and not the freedom that she felt she achieved last week. I was disappointed. But I adored their outfits. And Derek is right - her body is slammin'! The judges were much more enthusiastic.
Scores: 8, 9, 9, 8

End of Part 1

No comments: