Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Eras Nite

Hello dance fans!
It's "Eras Nite"!
And Len's back! So are the team dances! Here we go!

Round 1: Individual Dances

Laurie / Val
60's Quickstep
Val as my prom date? HELL, YES! :)
Extra dancers, ugh! This will not be the only time I write this tonight.
It took them awhile to start dancing, but once they did, they had good energy and lots of fancy footwork. But did the dance have enough quickstep elements? Evidently yes, but Len said she lost technique and Carrie Ann admonished the pair for not one, but two lifts. Why Val? You know Carrie Ann is going to mark y'all down for lifts, so why put them in when they're not allowed. Sigh. I've had this imaginary conversation with Val before; obviously it didn't do any good. :)
Scores: 8, 8, 9, 9

Ryan / Cheryl
90's Rumba
Ryan and Cheryl danced to Arrowsmith's "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing," which is an amazing song. Unfortunately, the dance was just "a'right." I saw more partnering skills, and his hips moved some. It was a sexy dance. But Cheryl still did most of the work. It was obvious that the judges are frustrated with Ryan. They want Ryan to really dance, to work harder at this, to feel and interpret the music. They said he lacks musicality and technique. I agree with whatever judge said that Ryan looks like he's just doing what Cheryl tells him to do. But Len did like the straightforwardness of the dance - meaning no extra dancers or props. I don't mind props, but obviously I agree with Len on the extra dancers.
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7

Marilu / Derek
20's Charleston
I think this dance suits Marilu because it's quirky and fun, but she was still too slow and tentative for it to be entirely successful for me. I do realize that she is in her 60's, and likely will not be able to dance like someone in their 20's or 30's. But at times I thought she had it. The judges said that she and Derek were out of sync..
Scores: 7, 7, 8, 7

Calvin / Lindsay
50's Jive
Calvin and Lindsay totally sold this dance. It was fun, energetic, good technique, they had big smiles on their faces and their yellow costumes made the dance even brighter. I thought the performance was a little choppy; it didn't flow quite as good as a jive should. The judges loved it, and for the most part I did too, even though there were extra dancers. 
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Maureen / Artem
80's Tango
I love Bon Jovi, but...um...okay. The costumes were cheesy. Maureen was not convincing to me as a bad girl, until she was listening to the critiques. She had a big stumble during the routine, and it affected the rest of the dance. Artem said he stepped on her dress. Anyway, it was a mess. I'm sorry, Maureen.
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7

Terra / Sasha
30's Foxtrot
I thought the dance was lovely, and Terra looked lovely. Good movement, nice flow, good technique, it was very dreamy. I enjoyed it. Bruno said she channeled Jean Harlow. Yes! And Len said, "you put the 'all' in small." Cute, and appropriate!
Scores: 9, 8, 9, 8 (I think the scores should have been all 9's)

Jenna / Gleb
70's Samba
Perhaps a touch formulaic, but I loved the music, and they looked like they were having fun. Good samba rolls, which is a tough move to perform. I didn't get the whole laundry concept, but whatever. I thought they were overall quite good. Carrie Ann chastised them for the lifts. Len said there wasn't enough samba content, and Gleb mouthed off at him. Ooohhh! Do we have another rebel in the making?
Scores: 8, 8, 9, 9

James / Sharna
40's Jitterbug
Extra dancers all the way through the routine - ugh!
I actually thought there were too many lifts and tricks, and not enough jitterbug content. Len agreed with me. And some of the tricks didn't go perfectly. But it was entertaining, and the judges were ecstatic, as they usually are about James.
Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9

Round Two: Team Dances

Team Past:
James / Sharna
Calvin / Lindsay
Ryan / Cheryl
Maureen / Artem
Viennese Waltz
This was a beautiful dance! The costumes were gorgeous, and I loved the music (theme from "Outlander.")
The couples looked surprisingly evenly matched. The choreography was simple, but very effective, and the result was an absolutely lovely performance. I agree with Len: this was a proper team dance. Their synchronicity was excellent. The judges loved it, and I did too!
Scores: 10, 9, 9, 10

Team Future:
Laurie / Val
Jana / Gleb
Terra / Sasha
Marilu / Derek
Argentine Tango
The choreography was more difficult in this dance, so the couples struggled more with synchronicity. Unfortunately, Marilu took a tumble at the end of her part. Overall, they did well, but it was a rougher dance, less polished, more adventurous. They took more risks, but in the end they came up short because of the gamble.
Scores: 8, 9, 9, 9

The results were rushed because of time. Maureen and Artem and Jana and Gleb were the bottom two couples. Why were Jana and Gleb in the bottom?!?! They received a perfect score last week! Their dance was sexy as hell! Maureen and Artem were eliminated. It was the right decision based on performance, but I felt so sad to see Maureen's ballroom journey end.

librarianintx


No comments: