Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Dancing with the Stars Season 23 Cirque du Soleil Night Part 1

Real life intervened last night, and I've only watched half the show so far. Be forwarned, dance fans, I DID NOT like the concept of this show, and it has made me cranky. Even before the episode aired, I was concerned about this. I thought the contestants would be doing some of the acrobatic work, and I didn't feel that these stars were ready for that level of skill on week 3. I hate to say this, but I feel this is one of the weakest casts in years, so I was especially worried.

So I am relieved that the contestants are not involved in that aspect of the production. But at the same time, I have to say, "Then what's the point?" For me, the Cirque du Soleil performers were only a distraction. They did not enhance the dances. And I found it unfair that some performances had the acrobats front and center with the dancers, while some were hardly noticeable at all. I enjoyed the routines where the acrobats were barely there, but that was me. I'm sure many people at home watching loved the concept. But it did not work for me.

Moving on to the dances...

Calvin / Lindsay
Charleston
The height difference made it easy for Calvin to sling Lindsay around. The acrobats in the background were distracting (that phrase will be repeated in my recap, so prepare yourselves), but otherwise it was a fun, energetic dance. I didn't understand Carrie Ann's comment, however. Lifts aren't usually allowed in the Charleston? I didn't know that. If not, why did Lindsay put in like fourteen of them? Seriously, the dance was mostly tricks. So I'm baffled by that.
Scores: 8, 7, 8

Maureen / Artem
Argentine Tango
Again, the acrobats are so distracting! I thought their tango was adequate. Just okay, not great. Not enough body contact. Not enough wow factor. It's a tough dance, and Maureen is struggling. But the judges liked it better than I did. And I'm glad for that, because I like Maureen. I love how important this show is to her, and how much she wants to succeed at being a dancer.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

Jana / Gleb
Foxtrot
Umm...were there Cirque dancers in this routine? I swear, I didn't see them. During the practice sessions, there was footage of acrobats flying off a trampoline; did that happen? See - inconsistencies. Unfair, in my opinion. But I actually enjoyed this dance because there were no distractions. Jana and Gleb have such great chemistry, and this dance had lovely rise and fall, and sweeping movement around the stage. I liked the costumes too.

Marilu / Derek
Paso Doble
The Cirque dancers were very prominent in this dance, and with them twirling around the stage and throwing red flags in all directions, I couldn't see what Marilu and Derek were doing half the time. When I could see them, Derek was doing most of the work. Marilu looked nervous and tentative. I believe she can do better than this. She has a great body and natural dance ability. I think she and Maureen both want to succeed so badly that they're trying too hard.
Scores: 7 , 7, 7

Amber / Maks
Argentine Tango
Okay, THERE is the sex appeal that I've been waiting for! There was the chemistry between her and Maks. Definitely this was her best dance so far. But I still think she was too covered up. Long sleeves on that outfit? Why? I just can't help comparing this dance to Mark and Paige's tango from last season. They made that table SWEAT! Paige removed layer after layer of clothes, until at the end she was wearing a little body suit and Mark's button down shirt. That was a smokin' hot routine! This one had some fire, but still needed more. Unfortunately I just don't think Amber has much natural rhythm, or maybe she's just too nervous and Maks hasn't figured out a way to bring it out of her. She has tied with Maureen for highest scores of the night so far, but I have a feeling she will still be in jeopardy.
Scores: 8, 8, 8

End of part 1

librarianintx

No comments: