Sunday, November 05, 2023

Dancing with the Stars - Most Memorable Year Nite

I usually love the dances on Most Memorable Year Nite, and this episode did not disappoint!! Yes, I saw a few wobbles too, but I thoroughly enjoyed nearly every performance.

First of all, I certainly liked all the chests I had the opportunity to oggle at. I'm talking to you - Mauricio, Artem, Harry, and to a lesser extent - Gleb and Sasha. I would like to extend my appreciation to the wardrobe department. :)

Let me also say that the tribute to Len was wonderful! Len will always be a part of the show, and we will forever miss him.

My top pair this week was Charity and Artem. That Contemporary dance was Charity's breakthrough performance. The athleticism and commitment she had, as well as her trust in Artem was breathtaking. Artem's beautiful choreography allowed her to shine and connect with the audience. She deserved that 10 from Carrie Ann.

I also thought that Lele, Mauricio, Alyson, and Mira had their best performances of the season. 

Xochitl retained her top spot on the leader board, this time tied with Charity, and I also thought Ariana was back in fine form with a lovely Viennese Waltz. I loved all the female empowerment and emphasis on mental health for all in these routines. 

Now for the performances that didn't work for me:

The judges declared that Jason was back in the game after his Quickstep. I also thought it was entertaining, and his personality and musicality were once again in fine form. But I thought he would get dinged for being out of hold too much. He wasn't.

I give Harry a lot of credit for all the lifts in his and Rylee's Contemporary routine. They were all well-executed and fully completed. So that is something. But in between the lifts, Rylee was the only one dancing. There has to be more to a performance than lifts. 

Finally, Barry and Peta's Paso Doble. Was I watching the same dance that the judges were? They were impressed. Derek even said that Len would have loved the routine. To me, it came across as comical when it was supposed to be fierce. He just stood and made shapes and then walked as Peta danced. I could also see Peta coaching him throughout the routine which I found distracting. It just did not work for me. But good for him that the judge liked it. That's what matters. 

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to Mira and Gleb. She looked so sad. She certainly struggled with confidence, but it was evident that dancing means a lot to her.

librarianintx

No comments: