Sunday, October 16, 2022

Twenty Heart-Healthy Snacks

 www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/20-registered-dietician-approved-heart-210000282.html

 I'm happy to see this list, because I like several of these foods. 

1) almond butter and fruit - I eat almond butter sandwiches occasionally. Not too often because I eat the stir-no kind that has palm oil in it

2) red grapes, cranberries and pomegranates - I like grapes but have not tried the other two, other than cranberry juice

3) avocado toast - I like avocado toast, but rarely make it. 

4) hummus and veggies - I like hummus. Sometimes I eat hummus in a tortilla with mushrooms and tomatoes 

5) bread and olive oil - When I go out for Italian food, I eat bread dipped in olive oil and spices. YUM

6) tuna, avocado, and cucumber slices - I have eaten tuna salad with avocado and cucumber slices. I have also eaten tuna salad with diced cucumber in it. All tasty. But I have read not to eat tuna too often because of the mercury content. 

7) tuna salad - I eat tuna salad about twice a month. I would eat it more often if it weren't for the mercury levels. 

8) salmon and crackers - for the holidays my mom always makes lox and cream cheese spread that I eat on bagels or wheat bread. I need to make this for myself sometimes. 

9) walnuts and fruit - I'm not a big fan of nuts, and they are difficult for me to chew and swallow. Sometimes I eat Greek vanilla yogurt or sugar free pudding with walnut flour mixed in. I need to do that more often.

10) bean salsa with sliced bell peppers - I eat refried beans, black beans, and pinto beans often

11) popcorn - I do not eat popcorn due to the choking hazard. It's not worth it to me.

12) Roasted chickpeas - I like hummus but otherwise I don't eat chickpeas

13) edamame - I don't like or dislike edamame. I just don't eat it. 

14) pumpkin seeds - I don't usually eat any kind of seeds.

15) cheese and whole grain crackers - I eat cheese at least once a day. I like veggie crackers - are they whole grain? 

16) trail mix -  I don't eat trail mix

17) peanut butter and whole grain toast - I was not raised on PB&J. I liked peanut butter for awhile as an adult, but I prefer almond butter. 

18) overnight oats with nut butter - I've tried oatmeal, and I know how healthy it is, but I don't like it. I eat grits and cream and wheat, but not oatmeal.

19) corn chips and guac - YES! Now you're talking! My mouth is watering.

20) yogurt or cottage cheese - I like both. But I don't eat plain yogurt. I like Greek vanilla yogurt, especially with walnut flour or fruit mixed in - blueberries, strawberries, or peaches. I also like cottage cheese with fruit.   

librarianintx

 

 


No comments: