Friday, October 28, 2022

Fifteen Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Cognitive Decline

Here are fifteen ways to reduce your risk of cognitive decline:

  1. Manage your blood pressure

  2. Keep healthy cholesterol levels

  3. Keep a consistent and stable blood sugar range

  4. Rack up enough physical activity

  5. Eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet; the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet are Alzheimer's Association favorites, and the MIND diet is a perennial neurologist pick

  6. Consume fewer refined carbs and more dietary fiber

  7. Don't smoke (talk to your healthcare team about quitting if you do)

  8. Seek treatment for symptoms of depression, if present

  9. Keep socially connected

  10. Limit alcohol use

  11. Score 7 to 9 hours of sleep regularly

  12. Challenge the brain through puzzles, reading, music or other hobbies

  13. Treat hearing loss, if present

  14. Meditate—even 12 minutes per day can move the needle

  15. Take steps to protect from head trauma—wear seat belt in vehicles, wear a helmet during sports and "fall-proof" your home from slippery surfaces and rugs

Thoughts on my risk:

My blood pressure tends to be on the low side. But I also have anxiety and because of that I think my cortisol levels are elevated sometimes, so that increases my risk. 

I don't get my cholesterol levels checked often enough. They've been okay so far, I think, but I need to find out what my numbers are yearly. 

I also need to work on blood sugar. The last time I got my blood sugar checked, it was slightly out of range. Not bad enough to concern a doctor. But what I think I need to work on is not getting overly hungry. I need to eat more frequently, and more complete meals. And I am chronically dehydrated. That is a big problem for me. 

I exercise every day, but it never feels like enough. And it's getting harder as I get older. But I'm still doing what I can. I am trying to incorporate more yoga and strength training. 

I am REALLY working on eating better. I definitely eat healthier than I used to. For me, I have to balance eating healthy with also getting enough calories, because I need to gain weight. 

I eat fewer refined carbs than I used to. I used to eat white rice. Now I eat quinoa and bulgur wheat. But I still consume too much sugar. 

I have never smoked.

I am working on reducing anxiety and depression. 

I was very sheltered during the pandemic but am working my way back to being more social. 

I don't drink. 

Sleep - I average six and a half to eight hours a night. For my age I think that's very good. 

I do Wordle every day and play a variety of games on my phone. I am trying to learn some Spanish and sign language, but I need to practice more. I want to learn how to play the piano. I journal and blog. 

I get my hearing checked every other year. 

Meditation is on my list of activities to start. :)

I always wear my seat belt, but my balance has become worse. I need physical therapy and am trying to get set up with home PT. 

librarianintx

No comments: