Sunday, October 16, 2022

Dancing with the Stars: Disney+ Nite

Disney+ Nite, not to be confused with Disney Nite - Promotion, Dance Fans, it's all about promotion!

Okay, disclaimer at the outset: The judges are the dance experts. I am not. So when I say my scores differed from the judges, I understand that they know far more than I do about technique. Still, I think the judges were inconsistent with their scoring on Monday night. Read on to find out when we agreed and when we didn't. 

I am with the judges on their critiques for Charli and Gabby. For me they were the top of the night. But I think they should have both received 10's. Charli should have received a perfect score for dancing with that Marge wig and dealing with hundreds of bobby pins in her head. Seriously, though, both of those routines were full of content, musicality, and personality. 

I was slightly less impressed with Wayne & Witney - I thought the dance was a little slow to take off. But I love him and I'm glad he did well. 

On the flip side, I thought Jordin & Brandon deserved all 9's for their beautiful jazz routine. 

I COMPLETELY agreed with Len on Daniel & Britt's High School Musical-themed Quickstep. The desks and extra dancers got in the way and interrupted the flow of the dance. But I also felt that the umbrella in Heidi and Artem's Mary Poppins routine was distracting and should have been cast aside earlier than it was. I think one judge mentioned the umbrella, but they weren't as vocal about it as I would have been. 

Okay, first big gripe of the night: Shangela & Gleb's Charleston received the same score, and about the same amount of praise, as Selma & Sasha's Quickstep. I love Selma. As a person with a disability, I am very happy to have Selma in this competition. But Len talks about how he doesn't want dancers "messing about", being out of hold, etcetera, and that is exactly what Selma & Sasha did. Did Sasha choreograph the dance that way because Selma could not physically do a proper Quickstep? It's fine if that is what had to be done, but why did she get 8's for that dance? I don't think the two routines deserved the same score. 

Gripe Number two: Trevor & Emma and Vinny & KoKo both did Samba routines. Trevor had hip action, good energy and partnering, musicality. Trevor had technique. Vinny had no technique that I saw. No hip action, no musicality. The dances came right after each other; Trevor's was first. I gave Trevor an 8 and Vinny a 6. The judges scored Vinny one point higher. HOW? What am I missing? Yes, I think Trevor is hot and I particularly enjoy dances where he is moving his hips with his shirt open, but that is not why I gave him an 8. 

Okay, main rants over. 

I pretty much agreed with the judges on the remaining three contestants: Joseph, Jessie, and Sam. Joseph's lifts were sloppy and made me nervous for Daniella. The routine was too challenging for him. I thought Jessie and Sam both improved from last week. Jessie's kicks and flicks were on point, and Sam showed surprising musicality and attack in his Paso Doble. 

Trevor DID NOT belong in the bottom two. In my ballroom, Vinny and Joseph would have been up for elimination.

These are my opinions, and I am sticking to them. 

My ranking for this episode would be:

Charli

Gabby

Jordin

Wayne

Heidi

Shangela

Trevor

Jessie 

Selma

Daniel

Sam

Joseph

Vinny

librarianintx

No comments: