Thursday, February 03, 2022

Wordle

You may not have played it, but you've probably heard about it. 

Wordle is the uber popular word game that everyone is talking about. You can only play it once a day, and you get six tries to guess the five letter word. With each attempt, you will find out if the letters are in the correct position (in green), in the wrong position (in yellow), or not in the word at all (in gray or white). 

Sound easy? 

It's not. 

But it's fun. 

Most of the time. 

It's more fun when you ultimately guess the word. 

It's less fun when you lose. 

Especially when you see "everyone else" guessing the word correctly, sometimes in only two or three tries. 

I have always enjoyed word games. And I like a challenge. I am getting the hang of Wordle. I have been playing for a few weeks now, and I can usually guess the word. But it often takes me five or six attempts to get it. I try not to get down on myself when I see everyone else getting it after only two or three tries. Comparing myself to others is a pit I often fall into. 

To practice, I downloaded a knock-off Wordle app that allows me to play all the time. Usually I get the word but occasionally I don't. Interestingly, I have guessed the word in only two or three times using the app. So maybe I will eventually get better at real Wordle. Although the creator of Wordle recently sold the game to the New York Times, so at some point in time it will no longer be free. I will probably stop playing Wordle when that happens. 

librarianintx

No comments: