Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Using Rewards to Create Habits

I watched an interesting webinar from our work insurance company. Health Select, Employee Retirement System, and Alliance Work Partners have all provided very helpful and useful resources for physical and mental health during the pandemic. 

Today's topic from the Health Select Fitness Community webinar was "Excuses Debunked". We discussed what excuses we make, why make them, and strategies for overcoming them. 

One strategy was to have a reward system. If you are spending time doing activities that don't align with your goals and purpose, consider using those activities as rewards for completing the physical and mental activities that do align with your goals. 

I think this is a great idea, and wish I had heard about it sooner. For whatever reasons (fear of success, fear of failure, fatigue, anxiety, etc), I often procrastinate on what I need or want to do, and do other activities that I like but usually take less physical or mental energy, or don't align with my goals and aspirations. There are many examples in my life. I want to read more. I want to write more. I want to exercise more. I want to learn sign language. I want to learn how to play the piano. All of these endeavors are good for my mental and physical well-being, and doing them gives me a feeling of accomplishment. Well, I haven't tried the piano yet, but you get the idea. 

So often instead of working on these activities, I "waste" time on playing phone games or scrolling through Facebook. I put "waste" in quotation marks because there are some benefits to both endeavors. The games can be challenging and good for my brain. And I do find helpful information on Facebook sometimes. Maybe hard to believe, but it happens. 

I enjoy the games and looking at Facebook. But I do understand that they are more empty activities. And they keep me from other activities that I want to accomplish. So I think I need use Facebook and games as rewards for putting the other endeavors first in my life. Make daily goals - small, achievable goals - and then reward myself for meeting those goals. 

This also includes activities that I don't want to do but need to do, such as chores or working on my finances.

So here are a few examples I am considering:

learn five new words in sign language, or practice the signs I know for a few minutes, then reward myself 

write at least one blog post or journal for at least ten minutes, then reward myself

get my clothes and food ready for work the next day, then reward myself

A big problem I have is procrastinating on exercising. I exercise every day, but I often wait until close to bedtime, which means I am getting to bed late, and I don't think exercising late at night is healthy. I am also in a rut with my exercise routine. 

I think this reward system will make me more productive and happier with my life. I will be less frustrated and more successful in balancing goals, chores, hobbies, and physical activity. 

librarianintx



No comments: