Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Eating Healthier

I read an article today that said eating healthier can help you live as much as 13 years longer.

People have different ideas of what healthy eating is. For some, a vegan diet is how they roll. Others swear by a low carb or keto lifestyle. Some people think intermittent fasting is healthy. When it comes to diets, there is no consensus. However, many medical professionals think the Mediterranean and DASH diets are the two healthiest diets out there.

I'm not writing this post to debate which diet is the best. I just want to mention six food types that I am trying to eat because I think they are healthy:

Fish, especially  salmon
Cruciferous vegetables: broccoli and cauliflower 
Legumes: black and pinto beans
Whole grains: quinoa and bulgur wheat 
Berries: blueberries and strawberries 
Nuts: walnuts and almonds

I don't eat all of these foods every day. But I am endeavoring to eat each group a few times a week at least.

The nice thing is that it's easy and tasty to pair these foods together. When I eat fish, I usually eat it with broccoli. Sometimes my meal is pinto beans with bulgur wheat or quinoa. I have trouble eating nuts because they are dry and difficult to chew and swallow. Then I discovered walnut powder - finely ground walnuts. Today I ate Greek vanilla yogurt with a few spoonfuls of walnut powder mixed in, combined with fresh blueberries. Delicious, nutritious, and filling.

Sometimes I eat canned beans, but I also learned how easy it is to make dried beans in the Instant Pot. You don't have to soak the beans, but I choose to. I then combine beans, water or broth, and spices. Twenty minutes in the IP, ten minutes natural release - done!

It feels good to be eating healthier.
But I still need to do more - more fruits and vegetables, and definitely less sugar.

librarianintx 

No comments: