Saturday, October 09, 2021

Capital Metro's Pickup Service

Yesterday I had an opportunity to try Pickup - Capital Metro's same day, on demand ride service. 

The Pickup service includes 12 zones I think in Austin and surrounding cities such as Leander, Manor and Pflugerville. You can only travel within a zone, not from one zone to another. It is app based, but they have a phone number too. The cost is $1.25 per ride, but this month all Capital Metro services are free. 

On Friday after work I scheduled my COVID booster appointment.  The Walgreens by my apartment didn't have any times available, so I went to the CVS at Parmer and Dessau.

I arrived at the CVS before 3:00; my appointment was at 4:15. I was so relieved that they were able to take me early. I had already filled out the paperwork online,  so getting the shot was a breeze. I waited less than five minutes.

So I was finished before 3:15 and my ride window to go home didn't start until 4:45. I did not want to have to hang around CVS for 90 minutes. I considered getting an Uber. But then I thought to myself,  I should try Pickup. It's free this month. But I didn't know if the CVS and my apartment were in the same zone.

I put the two addresses into the app, and score! They are in the same zone! I set up the ride, and 8 minutes later a converted Metro Access bus pulls up. It's a shared ride service, so we picked up one person, but then it was my turn.

Using Pickup was a very good experience. Now I know I could use it to go to HEB, or back to CVS. Having a same day transportation option is awesome. And it's cheaper than Uber. I just wish I could travel farther, like going to and from work, or a doctor appointment. The other downside is that for now Pickup is not available on the weekend. 

librarianintx 

No comments: