Thursday, December 13, 2018

Survivor David vs Goliath - My Thoughts on Last Night's Vote

I knew I would like this David vs Goliath season, because I have always rooted for a David in Survivor. Underdogs have always been my favorite. I get attached to the person who is so far out of his/her comfort zone - who has never even been camping, much less tossed onto a foreign island with no food, shelter, or clean drinking water. I cheer for the scrawny, pale, socially awkward, nervous person who sometimes becomes a brilliant Survivor player, and even more amazingly, occasionally wins. But if my favorite doesn't win, they are often remembered for how much they changed and grew as a person, and how well they played the game.

Two players instantly come to mind for me: John Cochran and David Wright. They are my all-time favorite Survivor contestants. For people who watch the show, no explanation is needed. But for those who don't: a brief history. John (known as Cochran to viewers) was first on the South Pacific season of the show. In his first time on the show, Cochran was rather socially inept and struggled to make friends. He tried to make a big move and flipped on his former tribe after the merge. He finished in eighth place on that season.

Cochran returned for the Caramoan season of Survivor, which was subtitled, "Fans vs Favorites." He played a masterful game this time, forming and leading alliances, and systematically eliminating players. He purposefully went to Final Tribal Council with two contestants who had no chance of winning: Dawn Meehan and Sherri Biethman. During the season, he won three individual immunity challenges, including the dreaded "disgusting island delicacies" challenge. He won the show in a unanimous vote, and admitted to Jeff during the reunion show that he was less interested in his law degree and had become inspired to be a writer. "I've been told I have the gift of gab," he said. Cochran will also be remembered for acquiring one of the worst sunburns ever seen on Survivor.

David Wright of the Millennials vs Gen X season was arguably the biggest fish out of water the show has ever seen. Pasty white, out of shape, anxious, scared of his own shadow, and 100% out of his comfort zone, David was a lock for first contestant getting his torch snuffed. Instead, he morphed into a formidable player: forming alliances, making bold moves, and winning a tough endurance challenge. He will perhaps be best known for blindsiding a strong player with a fake hidden immunity idol that he constructed. David was voted out fourth, but deserved to win. He wasn't the sole survivor in his season, but the personal growth and inner strength he achieved during his time on the island may have been worth a million dollars to him. 

In the Fall 28 season of Survivor, there was a whole tribe of underdogs the show called "Davids." I was so excited, thinking I had a whole tribe of people to root for. But it took me awhile to find a favorite. Christian should have been an obvious choice, but he wasn't at first. He actually annoyed me in the beginning. He talked too much and I knew he was too smart for me. But then he grew on me. I like how polite he is. Even when he lost a reward challenge, he congratulated the person / people who won, and he was sincere. I liked how nice and comforting he was to Gabby, even though I want to shake her for making such stupid moves. I like Nick a lot too, but Christian was my "David" this season, and I was so sorry to see him get voted off last night.

Most memorable moment for me with Christian: The five hour epic endurance challenge that Christian won against Alec. There were more contestants in the challenge, but Christian and Alec were the final two, and battled the longest. Christian had a brilliant, yet simple strategy: He talked incessantly. For hours evidently.This not only drove Alec to the brink of madness and ultimately made him break, it also made Christian focus on something other than his physical discomfort. Alec spent most of the challenge telling everyone he was going to win and firmly believing he would win, but Christian's droning soliloquy made Alec do otherwise.

Christian, you deserved better than seventh place, but I hope you're proud of what you achieved this season. You were a person that the other contestants saw as a threat to win. And I think you deserved to win. I hope you get another chance to play the game.

librarianintx

No comments: