Thursday, December 13, 2018

Eating Smart for a Healthier Brain

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/eat-smart-healthier-brain#2

One of the things I want to do in the new year (I'm not calling it a resolution) is to eat healthier. I think I already eat fairly healthy, but I can definitely improve. When I get busy, stressed, and tired, I tend to fall back on the quick and easy carbs I like such as mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. I'm not going to eliminate those foods from my diet, but I need to eat them more in moderation, and when combined with protein and vegetables.

As I get older, I'm thinking about taking care of my brain and my heart. Here's a list of good foods for your brain:

blueberries
wild salmon
nuts and seeds
avocados
whole grains
beans
pomegranate juice
freshly brewed tea
dark chocolate

This is a good list for me, because except for pomegranate juice, which I don't think I've ever tried, I like everything else. Now, just because I like these foods doesn't mean I eat them often enough. I have become a fan of almonds, and they are a snack I could eat nearly every day. I'm also a big fan of dark chocolate, and usually eat sugar free varieties. I also eat a good amount of beans, mainly black and pinto beans. I drink tea in the winter, and I eat blueberry yogurt or fresh blueberries in vanilla yogurt occasionally. I like salmon but don't cook it often. I eat avocado about once a week, but it would be easy to increase that.

Other foods that are supposed to boost brain health are spinach and broccoli, which I also like, but need to eat more of.

So that's a goal in 2019. Eat more of these foods!

a few meal / snack ideas:
1) salmon with spinach, avocado, and / or broccoli
2) beans with avocado
3) almonds with dark chocolate
4) vanilla yogurt with blueberries
5) next day salmon on whole wheat toast

librarianintx

No comments: