Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Thirty Day Writing Challenge: Five Fears

I can only list five?

Unfortunately, I'm serious.

But I don't want to do this writing challenge. I don't want to list my fears. I have too many, and I think it would be depressing to see them all on the screen. There is the school of thought that voicing, or writing, about your fears can render them powerless, or at least make them less potent. Maybe for some people that works. I feel if I list all my fears it will make them more powerful somehow.

I am a work in progress on a daily basis. I have fears but I do my best to live my life as normally and happily as possible. Some fears are stronger and make my existence more limited than it could be.

Okay, I'll name one. I have a big fear of flying. I've only flown a few times, and none of them were pleasant experiences. I had major anticipatory anxiety before each flight, I had tremendous pain in my ears during every descent, and I couldn't hear well for hours after. I was nervous the whole time I was in the air. It's just more than I can deal with. So I don't fly. I don't have the stamina or the money to travel much anyway, so all of that helps to avoid the possibility anyway. But I love history and I know I would enjoy visiting places - if I had the physical ability, the financial means, and could overcome my fear of flying.

Life is too short to be scared of so many things. But all I can do is take life one day at a time, and walk though as many situations as I can. My strong desire to live an active, purposeful, healthy, and successful existence helps me deal with at least some of what scares me.

librarianintx

No comments: