Friday, August 24, 2018

So You Think You Can Dance Top 10 8/13/18

The five pairs performed two dances each, all out of their usual dance styles.

1) Darius and Magda
Bollywood
It was a colorful, playful routine, with lots of energy. It wasn't my favorite Bollywood routine on the show - it wasn't especially memorable, apart from the vivid costumes, but it was solid.

Evan and Chelsea
Lyrical hip hop
I so enjoy lyrical hip hop, and I so enjoy Christopher Scott's choreography. He weaves stories with such emotion and depth in a less than two minute routine. Both Evan and Chelsea were out of their dance style, but you wouldn't have known that. Their bodies moved so well to the musicality of the routine. I still saw chemistry between them. And working with props is not easy! The judges still complained about their supposed lack of chemistry. Sigh.

Cole and Hannahlei
Stepping (and Strolling)
I have no idea how to critique this dance. I've seen stepping before, but as an exhibition, not as part of a competition. What I will say is that due to Hannahlei's cheer background I think she had more natural ability here. Even if she didn't have more experience in a similar activity, she simply sold the performance more. She looked relaxed and in the zone. She also seemed more on the beat. Cole looked lost. It was a fun routine, but for me the music seemed out of place with the dance genre. I felt a little confused.

Jay Jay and Jensen
Contemporary
I loved the intricacy, the hard and soft, the push and pull of the routine. They are strong dancers individually and as a team. I think they may have stumbled at one point but it was still a lovely performance.

Slavik and Genessy
Jive
Yay for Sharna Burgess from Dancing with the Stars!
For two non-ballroom dancers, I think they did well. It was fun and flirty. The kicks and flicks were strong, but I felt the bounce and energy could have been better. The tricks were predictable; there was nothing new or spectacular. It was very good, but in my opinion not standing-ovation worthy, which was the reaction of the judges.

Darius and Magda
Jazz
CHEMISTRY!
HOT!
SIZZLING!
Fantastic song, of course.
A song can make or break a performance, in my opinion. "Singing in the Rain," is a wonderful song as well, but the tempo, combined with the rather boring choreography, made the performance dull last week for Evan and Chelsea. This was a slow routine as well, but it was deliberate, the moves were sharp and crisp, there was a delightful sexual tension and alluring quality to the dance. I loved Darius in the long-sleeved white shirt and vest, and Magda in the little bustier dress. This was old Hollywood glamour and it absolutely worked for me. Performance of the night!

Evan and Chelsea
Contemporary - Travis Wall
Travis wanted this to be their "breakout" dance, and while I'm glad they finally got decent comments from the judges, I actually didn't feel as much of a connection between the two of them in this routine. I did, however, feel their individual connection to the performance. They both had beautiful lines and extensions, and the music was hauntingly lovely.

Cole and Hannahlei
Disco
I swear, Doriana Sanchez tries to kill these young dancers with her outrageous disco routines! The performances are so high energy and fast-paced, with non-stop explosive tricks and lifts that can be potentially dangerous if not executed correctly. Hannahlei is such little dynamo, and she looked gorgeous in her sparkly costume with her big disco hair. Cole had quite a workout keeping up with her. I loved it!

Jay Jay and Jensen
African Jazz - Sean Cheesman
What a cool routine! I love seeing moves I've never seen before - like the "spider walk" in this routine. The tricks and gymnastic elements were awesome. It was also a visually stunning performance with the bright costumes and colored lights on the stage. I think it showed a lot of versatility on the part of both dancers. Jay Jay's body and movements were a little more fluid than Jensen's; he was in the pocket more, more down and dirty. But she showed a lot of strength and flexibility as well.

Slavik and Genessy
Broadway - Al Blackstone
It was a sweet routine - reminded me of Travis and Heidi's "Bench" routine choreographed by Mia Michaels. It wasn't as good as that one, however. Again, the judges fell all over themselves with praise, but I thought it was just okay. I mean, good, but not spectacular. What is it about this pair that makes the judges rave about every performance? Is it because Slavik is an animator, and they were on the fence for a long time about Genessy, and almost didn't put her into the Top 10? Why do Evan and Chelsea get all the criticism and Slavik and Genessy get all the adoration?

Results:
I was absolutely furious about Nigel's comments to Chelsea before the elimination. "I don't know why you chose to do a tap routine last week," he said to her...like it was her choice to do tap!?!? It wasn't her choice - HER PARTNER IS A TAPPER! She was paired with a tapper. Her partner and the routine were given to her - she never had a say. He was blaming her for things that were completely out of her control. One could say she could have danced the routine better, but it was a poor routine, and she's never tapped before. I think she did the best she could. Unfortunately all she could do was stand there and take the completely unnecessary criticism with a smile plastered on her face. She knew she was going home. I knew she was going home. Everyone knew she was going home. The judges got what they wanted. She and Evan were eliminated. Mission complete. I bet she and Evan felt like the children no one wanted. The other couples were praised to the hilt on this show and the previous show, but they were criticized in just about every performance. It was very obvious what the judges wanted, and they made it happen.

librarianintx 

No comments: