Tuesday, March 28, 2017

DWTS Recap Nite 2 Part 1

It was Latin Nite, but they didn't make as big a deal about that as they usually do.

Nancy & Artem
Cha Cha
Artem is so excited to have a contender!
I loved their pink outfits!
I thought it was a crisp, tight, sharp, proper cha cha, although she lost her balance at the end of the routine. It could have been down and dirtier, but I enjoyed it. She looks so happy!
Oops, Artem had some kind of wardrobe malfunction at the end. Why didn't they let us see it?! :)
The judges were not as happy with the dance as I was.
Julianne: "missed a step - it threw you off"
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7

Erika & Gleb
Foxtrot
"I don't need you to like me; I need you to make me look good" Erika to Gleb. Okay. That will make for a strong partnership. Not.
It was good in places; it was rough in places. There was a stumble or two. It was a sexy dance. But I just have a hard time rooting for her. I know I should just be critiquing the routine, but I'm an emotional person. Personality plays into it for me.
The judges liked the dance better than I did.
Julianne liked her confidence and liked the routine.
Bruno said she had good lines.
Len: "a little past romantic"
Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7

Charo & Keo
Paso Doble
Okay, she looks amazing! And it seemed like once again, this dance would be in her wheelhouse. But she struggled a lot with her costume. Her dancing just didn't quite match with the intensity of the music. Given her age, she did pretty well, but overall, the routine didn't live up to the build up that was presented in the pre-dance video package. I was also surprised at how short the performance was.
She was also exceedingly annoying during and after the judges' critiques: yelling, running around, screaming, arguing, insulting Bruno. I guess it was supposed to be funny, but I just felt sorry for Tom and Keo. Poor Keo. He deserves combat pay this season. What does DWTS have against him? His partner last season, Jodie Sweetin, was a decent dancer, but not a contender. Every other season Keo has been given terrible partners.
Scores: 6, 6, 7, 6

Nick & Peta
Foxtrot
Another short routine.
I thought in the beginning Peta made him look pretty good. But overall I wasn't impressed with his frame or his partnering skills. The dance looked messy. But I think there's still potential here. He needs some of Erika's confidence - and a meditation lesson or something. He did look very dapper at least.
Carrie Ann: "breathe and relax!"
Len: "too hectic - no control"
Julianne: "less is more - simplify"
Bruno: "too skippy"
Scores: 7, 5, 7, 6 (I thought Len's score was too low. It wasn't THAT bad.)

Heather & Maks
Jive
Ooops, Maks is injured. Here comes Alan to the rescue!
The hip hop / extra dancers interlude in the middle of the routine was unnecessary. This was a fantastic dance: fun, flirty, sexy, high energy, but not over the top. Heather and Alan had mad chemistry, and Heather showed lots of personality. She looked young and exuberant. I loved it!
Carrie Ann also loved it.
Len didn't like the hip hop part (no surprise there)
Julianne thought it was hesitant.
Scores: 8, 6, 8, 8 (Len is an a$$. That dance did NOT deserve a 6!)

Bonner & Sharna
Viennese Waltz
Bonner said this dance ties in to his roots of the Texas two step...um...okay...
Another short routine!
But it was lovely and definitely romantic. I saw a big improvement from last week. Bonner was tender and his partnering skills and frame were quite good. I liked it. The music fit well with the dance too, even though it was a country song.
Julianne: "great execution"
Bruno: "sweet and touching"
Carrie Ann: "elegant and refined"
Scores: 8, 6, 8, 7 (What is Len's problem tonight?!?!)

End of Part 1

No comments: