Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Dancing with the Stars Week 3

I know - I am super late with this recap.

After the first two dances, I called my mom and said, "If this episode does not get better soon, I'm giving up." Luckily, it did improve. But it was so up and down. The main problem I had with the night was the show selections. They were all over the place. I think the selections should have either been all older shows, or all recent shows, but not a mixture of the two. For me, most of the performances from the older shows were ridiculously hokey.

Paula and Louis's dance was definitely the worst for me. That music was designed for a samba? Absolutely not! It was hokey overload. And she didn't know the routine *Shudder*

Carlos and Whitney's jazz routine was also in the cringeworthy category for me. Carlos is a hot man; I don't want to see him dressed like an old geezer. They had a few cool moves, but I just couldn't get past the hokey-ness.

At least Gary and Anna had the characters down with the Adams Family theme. His shuffling walk-dancing lent itself well to the tango, but I still think the judges were too generous with their comments. I also didn't need to know that Gary wasn't wearing underwear.

I also wasn't into Hayes and Emma's Ninja Turtles routine, and I think Hayes' costume seriously hampered his dancing.

I don't have much to say about Andy and Allison's quickstep. It was okay, but I think the American Bandstand theme would have been better paired with a jive.

The one performance from an older show that I did enjoy was Bindi and Derek's quickstep to the Jefferson's theme. I understand the judges' criticism; it was not a proper quickstep. But it was so darn fun to watch! I didn't find their dance hokey at all. Thank goodness they were not in blackface!

With this episode, I don't think you necessarily had to be a viewer of these shows in order to enjoy the dances, but I think it helped in some cases. The main example of this thought to me would be Nick and Sharna's Viennese Waltz to the theme from Downton Abbey, which for me was the dance of the night. I do watch the show, and Nick was the perfect Matthew Crowley. The extra dancers were unnecessary and the chandelier was in the way for part of the dance, but it was an absolutely beautiful performance. They tied for highest scores of the evening. Well deserved.

My second favorite dance of the night was Tamar and Val's tango. I have never watched Mad Men, but I know enough about the show to understand that the song fit the dance, and the costumes and Tamar's hair and make-up were a perfect representation of the show.

Alexa and Mark tied with Nick and Sharna for best dance of the night. Again, I have never watched Breaking Bad, but I understood that the dance was an innovative as the show. I bet it was hard to dance in those hazmat suits!

I was also impressed with Alek and Lindsey's tango to the theme from True Blood. It was a sexy dance, with proper technique.

Paula and Louis, and surprisingly, Andy and Allison were the bottom two couples, but of course it was Kim and Tony who went home because Kim was unable to compete due to health reasons. That's a shame, because I think Kim could have improved and possibly lasted for a few more weeks. 

librarianintx

No comments: