Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sansa Stark Storyline on Game of Thrones

Let me state right off that I am NOT a Game of Thrones expert. I have watched the show from the beginning, but I have not read any of the books, although some of my friends and family have. So I know about some of the differences between the books and the show. I am interested in the show and I want to understand it better, but I don't plan to read the books because they are so long and very dense, and I am a slow reader.

I just want to briefly state my opinion about the uproar regarding Sansa's recent storyline. If you watch the show, but are not caught up, stop reading now, because this discussion will be a big spoiler for you. Okay, for people who don't watch the show but want some idea about what I'm talking about - Sansa is the eldest daughter of a now-deceased respected lord on this wildly popular fantasy series. Sansa was forced to marry the bastard son of the man who took over her home of Winterfell and was responsible for the death of her mother and eldest brother. The bastard son, Ramsey Bolton, is a truly evil man. Even though Sansa had been briefly married before, she was still a virgin. Long story there. When Sansa married Ramsey, he asked her if she was lying when she confirmed that she was still a virgin. He then ripped her wedding dress down the back, bent her over the bed, and proceeded to rape her.

A lot of people are furious about this storyline. While I can't say I'm thrilled that Sansa was raped, I understand why it happened. Ramsey Bolton is a horrible, horrible person. A friend of mine calls him "a sadistic fuck," and she's exactly right. I don't see why people are so surprised that he took Sansa by force. Did they expect Ramsey to make sweet, sweet love to his new bride? Please. Of course he was going to rape her.

Game of Thrones is not a show for children. It is a mature drama packed with violence, foul language, nudity, and adult situations. I was actually pleased with how the writers handled the scene. The actress who plays Sansa was not naked, and once she was bent over the bed, the camera panned away from her. In some ways that was more powerful. We knew what was happening to her, but we couldn't see her. We only heard her cries and screams.

Some people are upset because this scene was not in the books. From what I've heard though, the character of Ramsey is even worse than his portrayal on the tv show. He doesn't rape Sansa in the books, but he rapes someone else, and it is an even more violent act than what we had to witness on the show. And he does other vile things as well. So while I can understand people not being happy about a rape scene, I think their anger at the show is unjustified. This is not the kind of show where people live happily ever after. It is a dark show with a lot of evil people in it, and many of the characters lead unhappy, tortured lives. Sansa is a character that many people were hoping would find some happiness, but at least so far that has not transpired.

librarianintx


No comments: