Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Dancing with the Stars Finale Performances

I'm only going to comment on Riker's and Rumer's dances, because in my opinion they are the two contenders for the mirrorball trophy.

I think both couples were very smart with their choices of re-do performances.  The dances were highly successful the first time around, and even more so last night.

Riker's paso is my favorite dance of the season. Wow, what a dance! The energy, the passion, the spectacle. "A super production for a super talent," Bruno had exclaimed the first time around. Last night the dance was even better, which I didn't think was possible. It was even more exciting, the moves sharper and more emphatic. The dance left me breathless; it was thrilling. I almost cried when Len gave him not one, but two standing ovations. We were a witness to history last night. 

Rumer's foxtrot was also even better the second time. I love the connection between Rumer and Val, the mutual admiration they have for each other. And the joy that Rumer communicates when she dances. Many celebrities have experienced life-changing transformations during their time on Dancing with the Stars, and Rumor is one of those contestants. The girl who felt like an ugly duckling growing up has become a beautiful, confident dancer, and a role model in the process. The dance had the grace and flow and sweeping movement across the floor that one looks for in the foxtrot, and Hozier's song was a perfect fit. 

I have to admit, I was a tad disappointed with both freestyles, for different reasons. While Riker's had the big production value that is typical of a freestyle, I didn't feel like the dance was the best fit for him. Riker is a bass player; he's a pop/rock guy. That routine felt a bit too old for him. The content and skill level were high and he certainly danced well, but I wanted more of a rock and roll version of Apollo and Julianne's hip hop freestyle. I wanted something young and fresh and innovative, something a little more high-energy. Mark and Shawn Johnson's freestyle is another good example. Perhaps Allison was trying to appeal to the somewhat older, more mainstream demographic of the Dancing with the Stars audience, and I can definitely see the value in that way of thinking. I was impressed by the dance, but I wasn't jumping up and down about it. I will watch his paso for years to come, but I just was not as interested in his freestyle. 

There is no doubt that Rumer and Val's dance was gorgeous. It was passionate, romantic, traditional, and full of content. But it didn't feel like a freestyle. It felt more like a regular dance. Their disco-inspired samba was more of a freestyle, with plenty of exciting lifts and tricks. Like Allison, I think Val made a smart move strategically. He knows that their chemistry is one of their biggest assets, and both he and Rumer enjoy the traditional ballroom dances. A few years ago Kellie Pickler and Derek won with a simple, beautiful, understated freestyle, so Val knows it can be done. I don't think his decision was a bad one. The dance was just not what I was hoping for in the freestyle round.

Riker and Rumer deserve to win Dancing with the Stars. I have never wanted a tie more than I do this season. I adore both of them. I will be overjoyed for whoever wins and sad for whoever comes in second. They should know that each of them deserves to win, and they have both won my heart. Congratulations to them, and to their worthy partners, Allison and Val, who also have a piece of my heart. 

librarianintx


No comments: